pasting into an excel template without losing the formatting

  1. #1
    chachi
    Guest

    pasting into an excel template without losing the formatting

    I created a template in excel 2003 which has cells that have fill color in
    them. When I copy information from another source (like another spreadsheet)
    and paste it into my template, all the work I did is replaced by whatever I
    am pasting into the template. Is there a way to keep the formatting
    (colorized cells and bold formatting etc..) and just have the information
    that I am pasting fill the cells?

  2. #2
    tjtjjtjt
    Guest

    RE: pasting into an excel template without losing the formatting

    One option:

    If you have the Paste Options button enabled, when you past into Excel 2003,
    you should see a little button pop up in the bottom right had corner of the
    range you just pasted into.
    Click on that button and choose Match Destination Fromatting.

    If the button doesn't pop up, go to Tools | Options | Edit. In the column of
    choices on the right you should see a check box for Show Paste Options
    buttons. Make sure it is checked.

    tj

  3. #3
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: pasting into an excel template without losing the formatting

    Hi chachi

    when pasting choose edit / paste special and values - this will bring across
    the information but not over-ride the formatting. However be aware this
    will change any of your formulas in the source to values in the
    destination - so you will lose your formulas.

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...