How to eliminate duplicate entries

  1. #1
    Tara Keane
    Guest

    How to eliminate duplicate entries

    If I import files into excel how can I ensure that no duplicates are imported?
    Many thanks
    Tara

  2. #2

    Re: How to eliminate duplicate entries

    See;

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

  3. #3
    bob z
    Guest

    Re: How to eliminate duplicate entries

    While this is helpful info, with a file of 23,000 names and addresses, there
    were well over a thousand dups that showed up, some with 3 or more dups.
    Since all of the duplicate data including the first occurence had a
    "Duplicate" in the next column, I used autofilter to list all the dups, but
    I still had to delete the actual dups manually. Also, in excel 2000 the
    method mentioned at cpearson to add "duplicate" to an adjacent column so you
    could autofilter the results caused my computer to repeatedly crash until i
    did smaller sections of data at a time.

    What i would like to know is : how do you leave the first occurence of the
    data, and mark only the dups (trips etc). The suggestions in this forum mark
    all occurences of the duplicate data. I would like the first occurence of the
    same address to be a 0 and each succeeding occurence to be a 1 or greater so
    that i can autofilter and then delete everything over 0, not have to delete
    the rows out myself.

  4. #4

    Re: How to eliminate duplicate entries

    I think you'll find that deleting a bunch of rows in an autofilter goes much
    more smoothly if your data is sorted to group the rows to be deleted.

    If you have to have your data in the current sorted order, add another helper
    column. And put the row number in each cell in that column.

    I use
    =row()
    then copy down
    edit|copy
    edit|paste special|values

    Then I do all the duplicate formula stuff. Then I convert that column to
    values, too (just to make things quicker).

    Then I sort by that duplicate indicator column and delete the duplicates. Then
    remove the filter, and finally sort by that helper (row indicator) column (and
    really finally), delete that helper column.

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How to eliminate duplicate entries

    bob

    How about using Advanced Filter>Unique records only and Copy to a new location
    like a new sheet.

    For more on this see Debra Dalgleish's site

    http://www.contextures.on.ca/xladvfilter01.html

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP