Can software be downloaded to my laptop from CD issued with my n.

  1. #1
    LDJinLA
    Guest

    Can software be downloaded to my laptop from CD issued with my n.

    I have a new computer at work which I upgraded with Microsoft Office Basic
    Edition 2003. Can I download the CD that came with the computer into my
    personal laptop?

  2. #2
    garfield-n-odie
    Guest

    Re: Can software be downloaded to my laptop from CD issued withmy n.

    No. The End User License Agreement will tell you that you cannot
    install Office 2003 Basic on any other computer than the one it came with.

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Can software be downloaded to my laptop from CD issued withmy n.

    In Excel, choose Help>About Microsoft Office Excel
    Click the link to 'View End User Licence Agreement'

    In my copy, it says:

    1.1 Installation and use. You may:
    (a) install and use a copy of the Software on one personal computer or
    other device; and
    (b) install an additional copy of the Software on a second, portable
    device for the exclusive use of the primary user of the first copy of
    the Software.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  4. #4
    LDJinLA
    Guest

    Re: Can software be downloaded to my laptop from CD issued with m

    Thanks for your help. I got two conflicting answers, but I like yours better!

  5. #5
    garfield-n-odie
    Guest

    Re: Can software be downloaded to my laptop from CD issued withm

    Different editions of Office 2003 have different End User License
    Agreements. If you read your EULA, I think you'll find that it doesn't
    say the same thing as Debra's because you have Office 2003 Basic.

  6. #6
    Lady Layla
    Guest

    Re: Can software be downloaded to my laptop from CD issued with m

    From Microsoft website -- EULA for Office 2003 standard version,Office 2003
    Professional and Office 2003 Professional:

    1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights provided that you
    comply with all terms and

    conditions of this EULA:

    1.1 Installation and use. You may:

    (a) install and use a copy of the Software on one personal computer or other
    device; and

    (b) install an additional copy of the Software on a second, portable device for
    the exclusive use of the primary

    user of the first copy of the Software.

    In other words -- they all have the SAME EULA

    Can you put the EULA you are describing here Garfield-n-odie?

    "garfield-n-odie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    : Different editions of Office 2003 have different End User License
    : Agreements. If you read your EULA, I think you'll find that it doesn't
    : say the same thing as Debra's because you have Office 2003 Basic.
    :
    : LDJinLA wrote:
    :
    : > Thanks for your help. I got two conflicting answers, but I like yours
    better!
    : > "Debra Dalgleish" wrote:
    : >
    : >
    : >>In Excel, choose Help>About Microsoft Office Excel
    : >>Click the link to 'View End User Licence Agreement'
    : >>
    : >>In my copy, it says:
    : >>
    : >>1.1 Installation and use. You may:
    : >> (a) install and use a copy of the Software on one personal computer or
    : >>other device; and
    : >> (b) install an additional copy of the Software on a second, portable
    : >>device for the exclusive use of the primary user of the first copy of
    : >>the Software.
    : >>
    : >>
    : >>LDJinLA wrote:
    : >>
    : >>>I have a new computer at work which I upgraded with Microsoft Office Basic
    : >>>Edition 2003. Can I download the CD that came with the computer into my
    : >>>personal laptop?
    : >>
    : >>
    : >>--

  7. #7
    garfield-n-odie
    Guest

    Re: Can software be downloaded to my laptop from CD issued withm

    Your list does not include Office 2003 Basic, which is not the same as
    Office 2003 Standard.

  8. #8
    Lady Layla
    Guest

    Re: Can software be downloaded to my laptop from CD issued with m

    So what is Microsoft's printed EULA exactly say for Office 2003 Basic - copy and
    paste it here.

  9. #9
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    Just another thought on this, as you said this is a work computer, I would assume your employer paid for (hence owns) the License. You may want to see what your company's policy is on copying software to personal computers.

    You didn't say whether your personal laptop is used for business purposes. I know my employer does not allow this practice (as they provide laptops to those that need them). But, worth checking in to.

    Good Luck.
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA