Wildcard and vlookup

  1. #1
    Kopel
    Guest

    Wildcard and vlookup

    I have on list 1 with the name of the streets (no number)
    on column A and on column B the name of the city.

    I have another list 2 with the name of the strees (with
    number).

    If a use Vlookup to find the street of list 2 on list 1 and
    give the name of the town will not work because the streets
    on list 2 have numbers.

    Can I use wild card on the formula so I can keep the street
    number? If yes what is the formula? If no, any suggestion?

    Thank You

    Kopel

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Wildcard and vlookup

    Hi

    personally i'ld be tempted to use data / text to columns to split the sheet2
    addresses into a number and a street column. However, a formula along the
    lines of the following should give you what you want without having to split
    the number and street name up.

    =VLOOKUP(MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,LEN(A1)-FIND("
    ",A1)),Sheet1!$A$1:$B$1000,2,0)

    where A1 is the number & street combination that you want to lookup on sheet
    1 to find the town for.

    Hope this helps
    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Wildcard and vlookup

    Kopel,

    How about something like

    =VLOOKUP(MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,99),D8:E14,2,FALSE)

    RP