Excel XP won't load

  1. #1
    Mike
    Guest

    Excel XP won't load

    Excel begins to load(I see my name below logo), but then closes with
    'Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close'.I can,
    however, open Excel only in Safe Mode but only in the Administrator log-in,
    not my
    own user acct. I am not part of network. Other Office XP programs ok. Files
    are there as I can copy them and open on another computer. I have don't
    several virus/adware scans, tried clean boot(not sure if successful), have
    deleted all .xlb files, I had no add-ins checket. There are no files in any
    of my 3 XL Start folders. I have donwloaded latest
    Installer 3.0. Have un/re-installed Office XP, I have tried to put in
    /RegServer in Run...(normal and safe modes-doesn't find file. One experiment
    produced need for vbe6.dll which I could not find in a search. I tried to
    download a security patch from MS but it said it did not 'recognize my
    product'.
    Pls respond while mind still somewhat intact
    Mike

  2. #2

    Re: Excel XP won't load

    I have no idea, but if you can get excel started even as admin, maybe you could
    do Help|Detect and Repair (although I would have guessed reinstalling would have
    done the equivalent).

    Just something more to try...I don't have a guess if/when it fails.

    When you reinstalled office, did you remove it first (both as admin and user)?
    If not, I'd try uninstalling for everyone.

    (You may have tried uninstalling for both, but I couldn't quite tell in your
    post.)

    One more thought...how are you starting up excel when it fails? Are you double
    clicking on a .xls file or are you just starting excel?

    If you're double clicking on a .xls filename in windows explorer, then maybe
    it's the workbook--not excel itself.

    And something for you to look at--Chip Pearson has a page on his site that
    describe how to fix startup problems. (although it sounds like you did lots of
    that stuff):

    Chip Pearson's site:

  3. #3
    wlyon8
    Guest

    Re: Excel XP won't load

    You may have a corrupt system file. You may want to try using XP System
    restore to rollback to a previous point in time.
    Start->Programs->Accessories->SystemTools->SystemRestore ... you will
    have the chance to see what restore points are available before it restores.

  4. #4
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: Excel XP won't load

    Thank you, Dave
    I don't know how to un-intall Office per account(i.e. Administrator). I just
    put in the disc and selected unistall, re-booted, and then installed.
    I have tried to open Excel everyway except upside-down.
    I found nothing in cpearson's website. Other ideas?

  5. #5
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: Excel XP won't load

    Thanks, Wylon but this has been going on since November! Since I have
    re-installed Windows and Office both. I think a Trojan might have done the
    original damage. I do get the occasional message about a vbe6.dll driver. I
    tried to download it from MS in a security patch but if said it that it
    'didn't find the expected version of the product'
    Mike

  6. #6

    Re: Excel XP won't load

    First, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I thought that if you logged
    on the user as Admin, then you'd be removing it for the Admin. If you logon as
    a user, then you'll get that specific user.

    I'm not sure how "All Users" gets into the mix.

    Maybe someone running the same version of windows (I don't recall seeing that in
    any of your posts) can help.