How do I count If for these special distinctions

  1. #1
    Desperate Novice
    Guest

    How do I count If for these special distinctions

    I need to count the number of names in a very long list
    complaring excel columns that are titles name and date. I
    would like the formula to count all DISTINCT names on EACH
    given date giving me a grand total of names.
    EXAMPLE

    James Smith June 12, 2004
    James Smith June 12, 2004
    Mike Black June 12, 2004
    Karen Jones June 13, 2004
    Mike Black June 13, 2004
    Jane Smith June 13, 2004

    Total Count: 5

    I appreciate the help.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: How do I count If for these special distinctions

    I don't quite understand your explanation of where the date comes into the
    picture, but this formula will count unique entries in Column A:

    =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A300<>"")/COUNTIF(A1:A300,A1:A300&""))
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I count If for these special distinctions

    Check out Chip Pearson's formulas for counting unique items.

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplic...CountingUnique

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP