File takes 40 minutes to load (auto-calculation)

  1. #1
    R L
    Guest

    File takes 40 minutes to load (auto-calculation)

    I have a 7 MB Excel file that takes about 40 minutes to open up. If I
    turn off auto-calculation, the file opens almost instantly. I have a
    desktop with Intel P4-2.8GHz, 512MB, Win2K, Office XP with SP3. The
    thing is, my coworkers who have older/slower machines can open the file
    almost instantly whether auto-calculation is on or off. There is one
    other person in the office who is experiencing the same problem.
    Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Naz
    Guest

    RE: File takes 40 minutes to load (auto-calculation)

    2 thoughs are:

    1) Assuming your PC is running over a network is your PC comparably slower
    to the co-workers who load the file immediately? If so, if the file is linked
    to many other files a slow connection could be the cause of the problem.

    2) Are you all using the same version of Excel, if you are using Excel XP
    and the file you are opening is an earlier version, or any files that the
    main file links to are earlier versions. This could cause a problem. Test
    this by opeing the file with auto-calc on but not updating the file if
    promted.

    Hope that helps

    Naz
    London