What is a helper column?

  1. #1
    RMPPOD
    Guest

    What is a helper column?

    I cannot find any information concerning a "helper Column" in the help files.
    Could someone point me in the right direction as to how to find and use this
    "helper column?

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: What is a helper column?

    It's not an Excel term, it is more generalised than that.

    In essence, it means using a column to store some intermediate results
    (using a formula say), that can make further

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: What is a helper column?

    Sorry, hit the button too soon.

    It's not an Excel term, it is more generalised than that.

    In essence, it means using a column to store some intermediate results
    (using a formula say), that can help simplify further formulas. For
    instance, if you have a complex formula that repeats a certain test, put
    that test in the helper column, and refer to that in the main formula,
    making it more readable and maintainable.

  4. #4
    Guest

    Re: What is a helper column?

    a helper column can also be use to do a non-standard sort
    by putting numbers or other in the helper column then
    sorting by the helper colunm. I use this to sort by color