How to identify an inserted picture within a formula

  1. #1
    Jeff Melvaine
    Guest

    How to identify an inserted picture within a formula

    I am using Excel 2002. For my application I want to insert pictures in
    various cells, then write formulae in other cells that take different
    actions based on what is in the pictures. The pictures are small .bmp
    files that I coded to represent various symbols. A worksheet function that
    takes a cell reference as argument and returns the pathname of the .bmp file
    would be sufficient to solve my problem, but worksheet functions like CELL
    dont know anything about this.

    I'm hoping the answer will not be "you can't do this because the picture is
    not bound to the cell in a way that would support this function". (I
    suppose if picture cells can be sorted there is some hope.) If it is
    possible to write a VB function to do this, I'm not experienced in such
    exercises and would appreciate fairly explicit instructions for setting this
    up.

    Using a custom font to represent the symbols instead of inserting pictures
    might be a more natural way of solving the problem, but I am not au fait
    with doing this. None of the predefined fonts have the symbols that I need,
    or anything close enough to serve effectively as an approximation. (For
    those who are curious to know, the symbols in my application represent
    components of a railway signalling diagram.)

    Any advice appreciated. TIA.

    Jeff

  2. #2
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: How to identify an inserted picture within a formula

    Can you point us in the direction of what the symbols look like - perhaps a
    rail site somewhere. Just thinking it will be far easier to do this if we
    can point you in the direction of a font symbol as you mentioned. There are
    thousands of them.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: How to identify an inserted picture within a formula

    Please correct your system clock.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  4. #4
    Jeff Melvaine
    Guest

    Re: How to identify an inserted picture within a formula

    Hey, you're right, daylight saving doesn't end until March.

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: How to identify an inserted picture within a formula

    Forget daylight saving, you're nearly a whole day out with your clock.

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: How to identify an inserted picture within a formula

    The pictures, once inserted, have no tie to the file from which they were
    created. You can tell what cell they are over.

    ActiveSheet.Pictures(1).TopLeftCell

    and its name
    Activesheet.Pictures(1).Name

    but you would have to assign a meaningful name when it was imported.

    Tom Ogilvy

  7. #7
    Jeff Melvaine
    Guest

    Re: How to identify an inserted picture within a formula

    My clock looked fine to me, but the problem was the time zone. Should be
    fixed now.

    news:%[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Jeff Melvaine
    Guest

    Re: How to identify an inserted picture within a formula

    Thanks. It sounds as though a custom font would be simpler to use.

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Jeff Melvaine
    Guest

    Re: How to identify an inserted picture within a formula

    I have prowled the net with yahoo looking for a suitable symbol font, and
    concluded that it would be more practicable to try and create one. I'm
    currently investigating an evaluation copy of High-Logic Font Creator, which
    appears promising. I need to spend some time setting up the font glyphs,
    but this does not appear to be much more labour intensive than creating
    bitmaps in Paint. I lose the option of multi-colour symbols (not greatly
    concerned by that), but a font seems to be easier to use in my application
    (see Tom's post).

    Thanks to all respondents.

  10. #10

    Re: How to identify an inserted picture within a formula

    It looks like you still have a problem with either AM/PM or timezone.