How do I split a cell diagonally?

  1. #1
    Tupid
    Guest

    How do I split a cell diagonally?

    Please help as I need to know asap.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: How do I split a cell diagonally?

    You can't really do this. You can put a diagonal line through a
    cell. Go to the Format menu, choose Cell, then the Borders tab.
    Click the diagonal line button. This will display a diagonal
    line in the cell, but will have no effect on splitting the cell's
    text between the two regions.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: How do I split a cell diagonally?

    Depending on what you want in there though, you may be able to achieve that
    kind of effect, eg

    Format the cell as Chip described, type 'ab' hit ALT+ENTER, type few spaces
    and then type 'cd'

    Get the spacing right and you will have the appearance of a split cell.
    Useless for data that needs to be numeric, but if it functions as a column
    and row header then it works fine. Not an ideal choice to me as you can't
    refer simply to each value (though it can be done), but it may be what you
    are looking for.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: How do I split a cell diagonally?

    You can "fake" doing this by using drawing objects (triangles), one on top
    the other.........they will accept text and can be colored to
    suit.........lthough only really usefull as like a column header,
    etc...............

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  5. #5
    Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: How do I split a cell diagonally?

    lol this is 4 years old, but one of the first links that showed up on google.

    Adding on to what Ken wrote, what I found to be useful is instead of actually splitting a cell diagonally is to just use 4 cells - in 2x2 format.

    Assuming that you want to make a chart label (ie for the rows/columns) to be located in the top left, insert your row label in the bottom left of the 4 cells, while the column label is placed on the top right. Make sure these 2 columns have the same width/height, and use the draw border tool to draw diagonals in the upper left and lower right cells.

    After that, just merge and center the cells which contain the names for rows and columns, and you're set

  6. #6
    San Francisco area
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: How do I split a cell diagonally?

    After all these years and this is still not a feature in Excel.

    The main issue with the few solutions already mentioned is that you cannot give each half of the split cell a different color (to match the table's column header and row header formatting). I needed this for an article I was writing, so I wrote an add-in that includes a dialog for setting all the parameters.

    See Logit's post below for the link to the source code, instructions and download (I don't have enough posts yet to put the link here).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by evanbarr; 09-07-2019 at 09:39 PM.

  7. #7
    Forum Expert Logit's Avatar
    North Carolina
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2019 Professional Plus - 2007 Enterprise
    Posts
    7,014

    Re: How do I split a cell diagonally?

    .