COUNT function and errors within it - Need some expert knowledge

  1. #1
    stu eade
    Guest

    COUNT function and errors within it - Need some expert knowledge

    I have 2 spreadsheets - "A" and "B".
    "A" is the master spreadsheet and all cells are locked.
    Information displayed on "A" is enterd via "B"
    "A" has 5 columns with formulas in and 10 data columns that display
    information entered from "B".
    1 of the 5 formula columns in "A" has a "COUNT" formula that counts the 10
    data columns when a value is recorded from when the user enteres data from
    "B".
    The 10 data columns on "A" have had:
    "=spreadsheetA!A1", "=spreadsheetB!B1", "=spreadsheetC!C1",etc
    and also
    "=if(spreadsheetA!A1, spreadsheetA!A1, 0) etc, to record what is being
    entered on "B".
    The problem is,
    The "COUNT" formula on "A" is registering a value even though no data is
    being entered on "B". It seems to think that whatever functions or formulas
    are used in the 10 data cells on "A" to record the information from "B" is a
    value in itself and is displaying "10". I'm trying to get it only to register
    an answer if something is entered, and if nothing is entered to discount it
    in the "COUNT".

    I hope this makes a bit of sense, and i will be extremely grateful if
    anybody can shed a bit of light on this matter

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Expert Cutter's Avatar
    Ontario,Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    6,451
    The COUNT() counts all cells containing a numeric value and that includes those containng a zero.

    You have to have your formulae on Sheet A result in a blank ("") if there is no data in the corresponding cells on Sheet B.

    In Sheet A, cell A1 type: =IF(SheetB!A1="","",SheetB!A1)

    Copy the formula throughout your range on Sheet A

  3. #3
    UK
    have you tried using the COUNTA function?

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: COUNT function and errors within it - Need some expert knowledge

    Just a thought, Count the values on B?

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    mgdye
    Guest

    RE: COUNT function and errors within it - Need some expert knowledge

    I'm not sure if this will help, but maybe have the count function in "A"
    count the values in Spreadsheet "B" where they are entered initially.
    Depending on your data, this might work.

    You might want to alse give COUNTA a try.