Splitting Rows

  1. #1
    jack
    Guest

    Splitting Rows

    Hello,

    I have a rather large Excel sheet in which Row 1 contains a
    Name and Row 2 the Address. This continues (Odd rows
    having name, even address) throughout the entire sheet.
    All the information is under column A. Is there a way to
    split the information so that the odd rows stay in column A
    and the even rows move to Column B?

    Thank you in advance,
    Jack

  2. #2
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Splitting Rows

    Jack

    Put this formula in B1 and copy down.

    =IF(MOD(ROW(A1),2)=1,OFFSET(A1,1,0),"")

    Copy the formulae in column B and edit>paste special...>values back over
    itself to 'kill' the formulae

    You can then filter the column B by blanks (Data>Filter>autofilter) and
    delete the filtered rows.

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Splitting Rows

    Assuming your data starts in A1 with a header, insert a couple of rows so it
    now starts in A3.

    Copy the whole of Col A and paste into Col B

    in C3 put =MOD(ROW(),2) and copy down as far as your data goes

    Select cell B1 and do edit / delete / shift cells UP

    Select the data in Col C and do data Filter / Autofilter and then filter on
    0

    Select all the data in Col C and do edit / go to / special / visible cells
    only, and then do edit / delete / entire row.

    Job done.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

  4. #4
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: Splitting Rows

    Assuming your data is on a sheet called "list", try this
    in A1 of a new sheet, copy across to B1, and copy down:

    =OFFSET(list!$A$1,ROW()*2+COLUMN()-3,)

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA