Forms Toolbar vs. Control Toolbox vs. Data Validation for drop dow

  1. #1
    Scott
    Guest

    Forms Toolbar vs. Control Toolbox vs. Data Validation for drop dow

    BACKGROUND:
    I am trying to create a drop down box that will give the user an option to
    select a year. From that year selected, I will then use the output with the
    OFFSET formula to go grab data from another tab.

    QUESTIONS:
    1.For a drop down menu, when should I use the Forms toolbar options vs. when
    do I use the Control Toolbox options vs. when should I use Data Validation to
    create my drop down menu?

    2.In general, when would I use the Forms toolbar and when should I be using
    the Control Toolbox? They seem similar.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    -Scott

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Forms Toolbar vs. Control Toolbox vs. Data Validation for drop dow

    There is no reason you cannot use any of the three choices you laid out. It
    often comes down to personal preference as they all can do the job.

    I think Data, Validation is the simplest but the drop down handle doesn't
    appear until the cell is selected so it's not obvious that it is there. But
    it does put the result right in the cell the user makes his choice from.
    The Forms toolbar drop down hails from Excel 5 but is my personal preference
    over the Control Toolbox version as it's simpler and seems to cause fewer
    problems. It can be linked to a cell but what goes in the cell is the index
    number of the choice, not the choice itself. (Easy enough to get back to
    the choice with an INDEX formula). The Control Toolbox version is more
    programmable but always seemed to me to be designed with a userform in mind
    rather than a worksheet.

    --
    Jim Rech
    Excel MVP