how do i get excel to see info in one cell, look at info in anoth.

  1. #1
    ditto
    Guest

    how do i get excel to see info in one cell, look at info in anoth.

    Basically this is what i can not get my spread sheet to do. I need it to look
    at information in one column, then look at the number that i put in on the
    same row but a different column, and total the amounts below in an area i
    have set for totals. This is my attempt to explain exactly what i am trying
    to do.
    I have a spreadsheet that has information in columns a-i. in column c1 i
    have my heading, c2 is where i start entering in information such as Travel:
    lodging. In f1 i have amount as my heading and in f2 i enter in an amount for
    the travel: lodging. What i am trying to do, and not sucessfully! is to have
    the information total down in c23, where i have my total information.
    I will be filling in other information in column c(such as Travel: meals)
    and need to also have this information to total for other data that i enter
    in column c.
    I have tried vlookup, hlookup and also tried the IF formula and found that
    i am missing something or am putting in the incorrect formula.
    Please save what hair i have left!!!! --
    thanks

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: how do i get excel to see info in one cell, look at info in anoth.

    Hi

    sounds like you need SUMIF
    =SUMIF(C:C,"Travel: lodging",F:F)
    will sum the values in column F where you have the words "Travel: lodging"
    in column C

    hope this helps
    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: how do i get excel to see info in one cell, look at info in anoth.

    If you mean that you need to total all travel, all lodging etc

    =SUMIF(C2:C22,"Lodging",F2:F22)

    will sum all the amounts that has Lodging in C

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  4. #4
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: how do i get excel to see info in one cell, look at info in anoth.

    Hi

    re-reading the question... makes me want to ammend my formula to
    =SUMIF(C2:C22,"Travel: lodging",F2:F22)
    as you want totals on row 23

    if the words "Travel: lodging" are in C23 then ammend the formula to
    =SUMIF(C2:C22,C23,F2:F22)
    or even
    =SUMIF($C$2:$C$22,C23,$F$2:$F$22)
    which means you can fill down your other categories

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:%[email protected]...