Random hyperlinks everywhere!

  1. #1
    FNORD
    Guest

    Random hyperlinks everywhere!

    Hiya

    We're on Excel 2002 SP3 and use Windows XP.

    Our database here at my work is HUGE... and incorporates a mixture of names,
    addresses...etc... plus EMAIL addresses. These email addresses show as
    hyperlinks, which of course causes our default email program to open up and
    input that email address in the "to" line so that we can email that
    person.... which totally isn't a problem and exactly what we want.

    The problem I'm having now though lies upon any row that has an email
    address. ...(we have multiple email addresses in our rows along with other
    data)... If I click on ANYTHING in that row... even something that ISN'T an
    email address, or a hyperlink (i.e. a name, city, or whatever that is
    standard text)... it's doing the whole "mailto:" thing and opening up my
    email program and inserting a RANDOM email address that was pulled from our
    database.

    What's even more strange…. is that it's only applied to some of the columns
    on the right. It appears the first half of our columns aren't affected by
    this.

    Now I've TRIED the Microsoft help menu to "deactivate several hyperlinks"
    and it refers me to go to "paste special" under the edit screen, then click
    "OPERATION"?? I don't even seen an option to choose "operation" at this
    point. The only screens I see are - source: "unicode text" or "text" and
    neither of those options work while selecting multiple cells.

    I know I can go through the 10,000+ cells and right click on each and select
    "remove hyperlink"... but that just seems silly if there can be a faster way.

    Also... I have NO idea how this problem started... it just started doing
    this within the past day or so.

    Please help! =(

    I'll continuously check this and I'll be happy to provide any further
    details.

  2. #2

    Re: Random hyperlinks everywhere!

    If you can select all the cells with hyperlinks that you want to clear (like
    columns B:IV, say), you can clear them all in that selected area by:

    hit alt-f11 (to get to the VBE)
    hit ctrl-g (to see the immediate window)

    type this and hit enter:
    selection.hyperlinks.delete

    You can do it in steps if you have to.