file access & options settings

  1. #1
    benb
    Guest

    file access & options settings

    I'm having two problems with an Excel file that is stored on a share drive
    for use among my entire work group:

    1) While almost everyone can open the file as an attachment to email, one
    user get's a message denying access. The message says "Can't create
    [filename].xls. Right click on the folder and select properties . . ."
    Could it be that this person doesn't have read-write access to their own
    temporary internet folder? Any other causes?

    2) Whenever the file is opened it resets the Excel options settings NOT to
    display windows in the taskbar. I've tried resetting the settings and then
    resaving the file, but it continues to do the same thing. I could fix this
    with an open event macro, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't an easier
    way that I was missing.

  2. #2

    Re: file access & options settings

    #1. I think I have the user try reregistering excel. Maybe it'll help--but it
    can't hurt.

    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver
    then
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /regserver

    #2. Earlier versions of excel had a bug (fixed in xl2002) that turned off this
    setting when opening a shared workbook. But if you're emailing the workbook, I
    wouldn't suspect the workbook is shared.

    If it is the shared workbook that's causing this trouble, you can either upgrade
    ($$$) or maybe use a workbook that checks this setting each time it could get
    changed:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?th...F659%40msn.com