Error message "the data will not fit in the worksheet"

  1. #1
    StanTheMan
    Guest

    Error message "the data will not fit in the worksheet"

    I converted to EXCEL 2002 and attempting to do file transfer from AS/400
    machine. On my previous EXCEL 2000 version, I could read over a maximum of
    50,000 records. With EXCEL 2002, I get a message" The data will not fit in
    the worksheet" and stores exactly 16,351 records. What do I do to read the
    maximum number of records ?

  2. #2

    Re: Error message "the data will not fit in the worksheet"

    Are you using Client Access?

    IIRC, the last version of CA that I used only supported 16384 rows when
    transfered to excel (xl95 row count).

    I'm not sure if CA ever updated that addin for more rows.

    I haven't used it in a while, but I think I'd dump the data to an ASCII file and
    then open that ASCII file in excel.

    Does that ring a bell with you?

  3. #3
    StanTheMan
    Guest

    Re: Error message "the data will not fit in the worksheet"

    Hey Dave,
    Thanks for the quick response. Yes, as an alternative, I ended up
    creating an ASCII file & and reading that file into EXCEL. Although, I'm
    curious why I could do it in EXCEL 2000 with no problem, prior to me
    converting to EXCEL 2002. You would expect EXCEL 2002 to be comparable.

  4. #4

    Re: Error message "the data will not fit in the worksheet"

    For me, the Client Access addin would never do more than 16384. I always
    thought that CA didn't want to update their addin from xl95 days.

    I don't know how you got more in xl2k??!!??

  5. #5
    StanTheMan
    Guest

    Re: Error message "the data will not fit in the worksheet"

    Problem solved: My Client Access was @ (Ver 4 Rel 4 Lvl 0). I upgraded my
    PC for CA from our AS/400 to (Ver 5 Rel 2 Lvl 0). I can now process records
    over 50,000 using File transfer on EXCEL 2002. I think the maximum is about
    64,000.

  6. #6

    Re: Error message "the data will not fit in the worksheet"

    Thanks for posting back. (Now I know that CA _did_ update their addin.)