counting matches

  1. #1
    Ray Newman via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    counting matches

    I have a range in a spreadsheet consisting of 80 columns by 30 rows, I am
    trying to sort and identify the matches included in that data. i would like
    to be able to get a result showing the combination of times for 2 same, 3
    same, 4 same etc and show the combo's.....any ideas?

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: counting matches

    Ray,

    What do you mean by "Show the combo's"?

    If you only want to get a count of matches in the data, try this.

    If your data is in A1:CB30, first insert two columns at column A and B,
    moving your table to C1:CD30, then insert a row at row 1, moving your table
    to C2:CD31.

    Then in cell A1, enter the label "Values", and in cell A2, enter the formula
    =INDEX($C$2:$CD$31,MOD(ROW()-2,30)+1,INT((ROW()-2)/30)+1)

    Then copy that formula down to A2:A2401.

    Select the entire column of formulas, including the label, and use Data |
    Pivot Table.... and click "Finish"

    Drag the "Values" button once to the rows area, and once to the data area,
    and you will get a table of the unique values in the table, and the number
    of times they each appear.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ray Newman via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: counting matches

    Bernie...let me clarify...i am trying to get the combination of number that
    match in groups of 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. and the number of times they match

  4. #4
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: counting matches

    Ray,

    You're going to have to be a little more clear. Post an example table with
    a description.