Recurring Problems with Links with Full Path Names

  1. #1
    JMcBeth
    Guest

    Recurring Problems with Links with Full Path Names

    I have two workbooks, both of which are in the same directory, one
    referencing cells in the other. The dependent workbook (the one containing
    the reference to the source workbook) displays a #VALUE! error. The formula
    in the cell is:

    =IF(Budget_Date="none",0,DSUM('N:\Corporate\Finance\Project_Financial_Reports\1_2005_Reports\QB_Budget.xls'!Project_Direct_Expenses,Project_ID,Revenue_Criteria))

    (Note the fully qualified path.) If I remove the path name, the #ERROR! goes
    away and the correct value is shown. The new formula in the cell is:

    =IF(Budget_Date="none",0,DSUM(QB_Budget.xls!Project_Direct_Expenses,Project_ID,Revenue_Criteria))

    However, every time I save the worksheets and reopen them, the filespec
    reverts to the fully qualified filespec above and re-displays the #ERROR!
    result.

    Can someone explain what is going on? When does Excel convert to the fully
    qualified filespec? I tried things such as opening the source file first,
    then the dependent file, but this doesn't seem to help.

    Why is the fully qualified filespec showing the #VALUE! error? Am I
    exceeding some length limit? If so, what is the limit?

    Thanks,

    JMcBeth

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Recurring Problems with Links with Full Path Names

    It's because DSUM (or any D* function) does not work if the other workbook
    is not open,
    since you can't have the source closed you must use '[workbook_name.xls]
    you can use SUMPRODUCT instead if you plane to have the source closed,
    here's an example

    http://tinyurl.com/56zae

    you might also want to look at pivot tables

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom