MaxIF instead of SumIF

  1. #1
    Steven
    Guest

    MaxIF instead of SumIF

    I am doing a SumIF( , , ) and that works fine. Is there a way to do a
    MaxIf( , , ). I see in the help that there is no Maxif but what I want to
    do is return the highest value for that particular occurance in the same data
    that I am doing the SumIF.

    Thank you for your help.

    Steven

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: MaxIF instead of SumIF

    Hi Steven.............

    You could do Data > Filter > AutoFilter............then select your group of
    interest and sort decending on your column of interest..........that would
    put the MAX value of that subset at the top of that column............

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: MaxIF instead of SumIF

    There is no MAXIF function, but you can use an array
    formula. For example, return the maximum value in A1:A100
    if B1:B100 = "dog":

    =MAX(IF(B1:B100="dog",A1:A100))

    2 important notes:

    1. This is an array formula, so you must press
    ctrl/shift/enter, not just enter, after inserting the
    formula and anytime you edit the cell. XL will place {}
    around the formula.

    2. Array formulas cannot handle entire columns. You
    cannot use:

    =MAX(IF(B:B="dog",A:A))

    HTH
    Jason