many numbers in one cell separated by hyphen.

  1. #1
    baju
    Guest

    many numbers in one cell separated by hyphen.

    Many numbers in one cell separated by hyphen. How to put them in separate
    rows of one column?

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    Use Data | Text to Columns...

    use the hyphen as the delimiter.

    follow the step by step instructions on the dialog window.
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: many numbers in one cell separated by hyphen.

    one way:

    Choose Data/Text to Columns. Select the Delimited radio button and
    choose Next. Enter a hyphen in the "Other" field, then click Finish.

  4. #4
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: many numbers in one cell separated by hyphen.

    I would say the quickest way is to select the column and
    do Data > Text to Columns, using "-" as your delimiter.
    Then select the data, copy it, and Edit > Paste Special >
    Transpose.

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  5. #5
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: many numbers in one cell separated by hyphen.

    And then choose the resulting values, copy, then paste-special transpose to
    get them into a column.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    baju
    Guest

    Re: many numbers in one cell separated by hyphen.

    There are too many numbers (more than 256) to put them in columns first.

  7. #7
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: many numbers in one cell separated by hyphen.

    OK, try this. Assuming your value is in A1.

    1. Put this in A2 and copy down until you get an error=20
    value:

    =3DRIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("-",A1))

    2. Put this in B1 and fill all the way down:

    =3DIF(ISERROR(FIND("-",A1)),A1,LEFT(A1,FIND("-",A1)-1))

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

    in columns first.

    >"Bernie Deitrick" =D0=BF=D0=B8=D1^=D0=B5=D1,:
    >
    >> And then choose the resulting values, copy, then paste-

    special transpose to
    >> get them into a column.
    >>=20
    >> HTH,
    >> Bernie
    >> MS Excel MVP
    >>=20
    >> "JE McGimpsey" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    [email protected]...
    >> > one way:
    >> >
    >> > Choose Data/Text to Columns. Select the Delimited=20

    radio button and
    >> > choose Next. Enter a hyphen in the "Other" field,=20

    then click Finish.

    >> > In article <CA641783-057C-4AC2-BFD3-

    [email protected]>,

    to put them in

  8. #8
    baju
    Guest

    Re: many numbers in one cell separated by hyphen.

    Thank you, that works.