Add Sheets and rename

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    GregR
    Guest

    Add Sheets and rename

    I have a workbook with one sheet named Sept. I want to add 11 more sheets,
    name them Oct - Aug and copy the contents of the original sheet to the new
    sheets. Then change the value in A3 of each sheet to the sheet name. The
    name of the initial sheet should be optional. If it was name Jan, the added
    sheets would be Feb - Dec. TIA

    Greg

  2. #2
    Gordon
    Guest

    Re: Add Sheets and rename

    GregR wrote:
    > I have a workbook with one sheet named Sept. I want to add 11 more sheets,
    > name them Oct - Aug

    Now if you were using LOTUS, it would do that for you automatically when
    you created the new sheets! as it is, you'll have to do that bit manually.

    > and copy the contents of the original sheet to the new
    > sheets.

    Select all of the original sheet and copy. Then click on the tab of the
    first new sheet, go to the tab of the last new sheet and click on it
    while holding down Shift. That should select all the new sheets. Then,
    go to the first of the selected sheets and paste the data. That will
    paste data in ALL the selected sheets. Unselect the sheets by clicking
    back on the tab of the original sheet.

    Then change the value in A3 of each sheet to the sheet name. The
    > name of the initial sheet should be optional. If it was name Jan, the added
    > sheets would be Feb - Dec. TIA

    You'll also have to do this manually, unless you write a VB Script to do
    it, AFAIK.

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

  3. #3
    GregR
    Guest

    Re: Add Sheets and rename

    Gordon, thank you for the response. I was looking for script to do the grunt
    work. Thank you.

    Greg
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Gordon
    Guest

    Re: Add Sheets and rename

    GregR wrote:
    > Gordon, thank you for the response. I was looking for script to do the grunt
    > work. Thank you.

    Beyond my ken I'm afraid!

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

  5. #5
    Gordon
    Guest

    Re: Add Sheets and rename

    GregR wrote:
    > Gordon, thank you for the response. I was looking for script to do the grunt
    > work. Thank you.
    >
    > Greg
    > "Gordon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>GregR wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a workbook with one sheet named Sept. I want to add 11 more

    > sheets,
    >
    >>>name them Oct - Aug

    >>Now if you were using LOTUS, it would do that for you automatically when
    >>you created the new sheets! as it is, you'll have to do that bit manually.
    >>

    >>>and copy the contents of the original sheet to the new
    >>>sheets.

    >>Select all of the original sheet and copy. Then click on the tab of the
    >>first new sheet, go to the tab of the last new sheet and click on it
    >>while holding down Shift. That should select all the new sheets. Then,
    >>go to the first of the selected sheets and paste the data. That will
    >>paste data in ALL the selected sheets. Unselect the sheets by clicking
    >>back on the tab of the original sheet.
    >>
    >>Then change the value in A3 of each sheet to the sheet name. The
    >>
    >>>name of the initial sheet should be optional. If it was name Jan, the

    > added
    >
    >>>sheets would be Feb - Dec. TIA
    >>>

    >>You'll also have to do this manually, unless you write a VB Script to do
    >>it, AFAIK.
    >>
    >>HTH

    If this is only a one-off, then you probably would be able to do all
    this manually in the time it takes to write a script! If you're going to
    do this on a regular basis, then the script is probably the way to go.

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

  6. #6
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: Add Sheets and rename

    Did you post in the Programming news group? That's the place if you want a
    macro.

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Add Sheets and rename

    Greg

    Sub Add_NameWS()
    Dim mycount As Long
    With Worksheets("Sheet1")
    Range(("A1"), Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp)).Select
    mycount = Selection.Rows.Count
    For i = 1 To mycount
    Sheets.Add(Type:="Worksheet").Name = Worksheets("Sheet1") _
    .Cells(i, 1).Value
    Next i
    End With
    End Sub

    Insert a worksheet named Sheet1.

    Enter Oct through Aug in column A1:A11 on Sheet1 then run the macro.

    Delete Sheet1 when happy.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  8. #8
    GregR
    Guest

    Re: Add Sheets and rename

    Gord, adds all the sheets, but doesn't copy the contents of the original
    sheet to the added sheets. TIA

    Greg

  9. #9
    Nemesis_uk
    Guest

    Re: Add Sheets and rename

    Greg, very handy little routine, but could you suggest a solution for
    this in reverse. i.e sheets already exist with different names, run a
    macro to put names of sheets down a1-a11 in sheet 1?

    cheers

  10. #10
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Add Sheets and rename

    One way

    Sub SheetNames()
    Dim wkSht As Worksheet
    Range("A1").Select
    For Each wkSht In Worksheets
    Selection = wkSht.Name
    ActiveCell.Offset(rowOffset:=1, columnOffset:=0).Activate
    Next wkSht

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  11. #11
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: Add Sheets and rename

    Why not Edit/Copy Sheet 11 times? You are still left with the renaming issue.

  12. #12
    GregR
    Guest

    Re: Add Sheets and rename

    Myrna, thanks for the reply. No I haven't posted in the programming group,
    as I didn't want to multipost. I could and have copied 11 times, but would
    like an automated way. Thanks

    Greg
    news:[email protected]...