removing squares and lines in squares that really should be paragr

  1. #1
    finnadat
    Guest

    removing squares and lines in squares that really should be paragr

    Exported 4000+ records from outlook to Excel - used the default map and it
    lumped business address into one field. The problem is that at the end of a
    line there is a bold line in the cell and when you try to edit the cell the
    formula bar shows it as a square. I've tried search and replace, but excel
    doesn't have a special character feature and I'm @ wits end - any ideas?

  2. #2
    Guest

    removing squares and lines in squares that really should be paragr

    hi,
    if it is just a line that shows up as a square, do a find
    and replace all.

  3. #3
    finnadat
    Guest

    RE: removing squares and lines in squares that really should be paragr

    ok on this thread I found someone with a similar problem -

    http://www.microsoft.com/communities...816&sloc=en-us

    I took the column over to word and replaced the two soft returns with one
    soft return (didn't work - excel thought that the single soft return was a
    cell break) and then a tab, but:
    A. it should have a soft return, these are international addresses
    B. it's a rather cheesy hack

  4. #4
    finnadat
    Guest

    RE: removing squares and lines in squares that really should be paragr

    tried, but they aren't physical characters - excel doesn't seem to understand
    two soft returns.

  5. #5
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: removing squares and lines in squares that really should be paragr

    The character that Excel uses to indicate a new line within a cell is
    CHAR(10).

  6. #6

    Re: removing squares and lines in squares that really should be paragr

    If you format the cell to wraptext (format|cells|alignment tab), does the box go
    away and the text wrap nicely?

    If yes, maybe just keep it that way???

    If no (from a previous post):

    Chip Pearson has an addin that can help you find out what is exactly in that
    cell.
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

    If it turns out to be "nice", you can use Edit|Replace
    what: alt-xxxx (use the numbers on the number keypad--not above the
    QWERTY keys)
    with: (spacebar) or whatever you want.

    This can work nicely with alt-enters (alt-0010), but will fail with other
    characters (alt-0013 for example).

    You could use a macro to clean them up:

    Option Explicit
    Sub cleanEmUp()

    Dim myBadChars As Variant
    Dim iCtr As Long

    myBadChars = Array(Chr(yy), Chr(zz))

    For iCtr = LBound(myBadChars) To UBound(myBadChars)
    ActiveSheet.Cells.Replace What:=myBadChars(iCtr), Replacement:=" ", _
    LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
    Next iCtr

    End Sub

    Change the yy/zz to what Chip shows (and you can drop ", chr(zz) if you only
    have one offending character).

    (And I changed them to space characters.)