Best Fonts for Excel?

  1. #1
    Kurch
    Guest

    Best Fonts for Excel?

    For purposes of clarity and readability what fonts are considered the
    best ones to use for Excel documents?

    It may be necessary to distinguish between clarity on the screen vs.
    clarity and readability on a printed page.

  2. #2
    Micah Chaney
    Guest

    Re: Best Fonts for Excel?

    The default font should work fine. Try increasing the font size, if you
    find people are having troubles

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Best Fonts for Excel?

    I've read that some people like Tahoma (especially for numbers).

    (I use Arial and Courier New (for non-proportional) for almost all my workbooks,
    though.)

  4. #4
    Nancy
    Guest

    Re: Best Fonts for Excel?

    Arial is clear!

    --
    Nancy Campbell
    Gravity Systems, Inc.

  5. #5
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Best Fonts for Excel?

    Kurch wrote...
    >For purposes of clarity and readability what fonts are considered the
    >best ones to use for Excel documents?
    >
    >It may be necessary to distinguish between clarity on the screen vs.
    >clarity and readability on a printed page.

    Numbers, text or both? Regardless, Font X may be clearer than Font Y at
    the same point size, but 12 point Font Y is likely to be clearer than
    10 point Font X.

    This is also rather subjective and/or statistical. The clearest font
    would be the one most of your intended readers/users would find
    clearest. To the extent their particular preferences depart from those
    of other respondents' readers/users, the responses you receive may not
    be useful.

    That said, IMO proportional sans serif fonts are always preferable.
    Arial is OK, but avoid Arial Narrow. A true Helvetica font may be
    better still, but it'll cost $$.

  6. #6
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: Best Fonts for Excel?

    I am a bit wary about using Arial. True it is nice and clear. However the
    juxtaposition of certain letters can be confusing - especially in the
    smaller type sizes. As an example try the words darn and Ill.

    The arguments for what makes a good font is very subjective. I suppose the
    honest universal answer is whatever you think is the best one for the job.

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Gary Smith
    Guest

    Re: Best Fonts for Excel?

    Harlan Grove <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Kurch wrote...
    >>For purposes of clarity and readability what fonts are considered the
    >>best ones to use for Excel documents?
    >>
    >>It may be necessary to distinguish between clarity on the screen vs.
    >>clarity and readability on a printed page.

    > Numbers, text or both? Regardless, Font X may be clearer than Font Y at
    > the same point size, but 12 point Font Y is likely to be clearer than
    > 10 point Font X.

    > This is also rather subjective and/or statistical. The clearest font
    > would be the one most of your intended readers/users would find
    > clearest. To the extent their particular preferences depart from those
    > of other respondents' readers/users, the responses you receive may not
    > be useful.

    > That said, IMO proportional sans serif fonts are always preferable.
    > Arial is OK, but avoid Arial Narrow. A true Helvetica font may be
    > better still, but it'll cost $$.

    Sometimes a mono-spaced font such as Courier New will be clearer,
    especially when you have columns of text where all the cells contain the
    same number of characters.

    Some people prefer Tahoma to Arial, but I think Arial is clearer at small
    sizes.

    --
    Gary L. Smith [email protected]
    Columbus, Ohio

  8. #8
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Best Fonts for Excel?

    "Gary Smith" <[email protected]> wrote...
    >Sometimes a mono-spaced font such as Courier New will be clearer,
    >especially when you have columns of text where all the cells contain the
    >same number of characters.
    >
    >Some people prefer Tahoma to Arial, but I think Arial is clearer at small
    >sizes.

    This may be getting too far OT for an Excel newsgroup, but if the OP is
    interested in fonts that work well in spreadsheets, then the need to use a
    monospaced font to create consistent layouts from line to line doesn't
    apply. If nice, neat columns are needed, then one may use as many
    spreadsheet columns as one needs (subject to the 256 column limit, but IMO
    no text spanning 256 or more characters per line is clear and readable no
    matter what font is used).

    As for monospaced fonts, I find Lucida Console clearer than any form of
    Courier because of the unfortunate similarity of the numeral one and the
    lower case L in Courier. Much clearer in Lucida Console since the lower case
    L doesn't have a bottom serif.

  9. #9
    Murtaza
    Guest

    Re: Best Fonts for Excel?

    VERDANA font is also good for spreadsheets IMO

    news:OeNoa8#[email protected]...

  10. #10
    Gary Smith
    Guest

    Re: Best Fonts for Excel?

    Harlan Grove <[email protected]> wrote:
    > This may be getting too far OT for an Excel newsgroup, but if the OP is
    > interested in fonts that work well in spreadsheets, then the need to use a
    > monospaced font to create consistent layouts from line to line doesn't
    > apply. If nice, neat columns are needed, then one may use as many
    > spreadsheet columns as one needs (subject to the 256 column limit, but IMO
    > no text spanning 256 or more characters per line is clear and readable no
    > matter what font is used).

    Sometimes a monospaced font is needed consider a column of 3-charater
    language codes, centered. Example:

    eng
    fre
    spa
    ger
    ita

    This looks pretty ragged in a variable-pitch font such as Arial. Changing
    to a fixed-pitch font improves it considerable.

    > As for monospaced fonts, I find Lucida Console clearer than any form of
    > Courier because of the unfortunate similarity of the numeral one and the
    > lower case L in Courier. Much clearer in Lucida Console since the lower case
    > L doesn't have a bottom serif.

    Thanks for calling my attention to LC. I'd forgotten about it, but will
    be using it move frequrently now.

  11. #11
    davegb
    Guest

    Re: Best Fonts for Excel?

    Two things about fonts.
    1.) People who grew up in the 50's and 60's, like me, find serif fonts
    easier to read, since the books we learned to read in were written in
    them (Yes, good ole **** and Jane!). My kids generation learned to read
    in sans-serif fonts, so they find those easier to read. So to some
    degree, it depends on who your audience is and if they're of a specific
    demographic. If not, who knows?

    2.) Monospaced fonts are harder to read, though give consistent widths,
    because most readers don't read each letter, they read the overall
    shape of the word. Since most of the world uses kerned fonts, part of
    the shape of the word is determined by the width of the letters in that
    word.

    I pondered this question years ago when I was working on some printing
    projects, and came to the conslusion, after some research, that's it's
    very difficult to make hard and fast statements about which fonts are
    more readable. There are so many factors that it's really a crap shoot.
    Now, I pick one I like and go with it, and hope others can manage. YMMV.