How to count occcurence of specific text block in a column

  1. #1
    Anshuman
    Guest

    How to count occcurence of specific text block in a column

    I want to count how many times initials of employees (e..g AD, AS, RR, AN,
    VB, DO) appear in a specific column. I am using COUNT IF function for that.

    The problem is as soon as I put initials fof 2 employees in one cell, the
    formula does not recognise either of them.

    To give you a gist, I want to see how many people work out of office , so I
    have a calendar style worksheet( month=col, date=row). If I input AD on 13
    day of jan, , I get 1 for AD, in the row where I am collecting total for AD .
    But if I put both AD, AS on 13 jan, then neither AD nor AS gets recognised.

    Please advise a suitable formula or an alternative method.
    Thanks

  2. #2

    Re: How to count occcurence of specific text block in a column

    =countif(a:a,"*ad*")

    Make sure you use a separator between each person.

  3. #3
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: How to count occcurence of specific text block in a column

    =COUNTIF(A:A,"*AD*")

    should work.

    HTH
    Jason