Creating a Combined Date/Time Shortcut

  1. #1
    Michael Link
    Guest

    Creating a Combined Date/Time Shortcut

    I know Excel provides shortcuts for entering the date (CTRL + and the =

    time (CTRL + SHIFT + , but I really need one that will enter both the =
    date=20
    and time in the same cell at the same time. (Since Excel does provide=20
    formatting for same-cell date and time, it seems kind of odd that there =
    isn't=20
    a shortcut to facilitate entry.) Is it possible to create an entirely =
    new shortcut=20
    that doesn't use macros? (This last point is important, since the =
    workbook is=20
    shared on a network.)

    Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated--I'm getting=20
    desperate. Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Creating a Combined Date/Time Shortcut

    Why not use this

    Ctrl-;
    press the space bar
    Ctrl-:
    Enter

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: Creating a Combined Date/Time Shortcut

    I thought of that, but (believe it or not) I've had comments from users =
    that=20
    that was too cumbersome. I've seen way too many cell misentries where =
    (for=20
    example) the space was omitted, rendering the cell unusable for =
    calculations=20
    unless I went in and fixed them manually. I really need a single =
    shortcut to=20
    ensure consistent entry with absolutely minimal errors.

    I really appreciate the feedvback, though! Thanks!

    news:[email protected]...
    >I know Excel provides shortcuts for entering the date (CTRL + and =

    the
    >time (CTRL + SHIFT + , but I really need one that will enter both the =

    date
    >and time in the same cell at the same time. (Since Excel does provide
    >formatting for same-cell date and time, it seems kind of odd that there =

    isn't
    >a shortcut to facilitate entry.) Is it possible to create an entirely =

    new=20
    shortcut
    >that doesn't use macros? (This last point is important, since the =

    workbook=20
    is

  4. #4
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Creating a Combined Date/Time Shortcut

    Have you tried:

    <Ctrl> <;> <SpaceBar> <Ctrl> <Shift> <:>
    --

    HTH,

    RD

  5. #5
    Guest

    Re: Creating a Combined Date/Time Shortcut

    Thanks for the fast feedback--but I don't think that's going to do it =
    for me.=20
    (See my response to Ron de Bruin, below.) If you have any other ideas, =
    I'd=20
    really appreciate it!

  6. #6
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Creating a Combined Date/Time Shortcut

    You must use a macro then

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  7. #7
    Guest

    Re: Creating a Combined Date/Time Shortcut

    I was kind of afraid of that. Sigh. Thanks for the confirmation, though!

    (for
    >example) the space was omitted, rendering the cell unusable for=20

    calculations
    >unless I went in and fixed them manually. I really need a single =

    shortcut to
    >ensure consistent entry with absolutely minimal errors.
    >
    >I really appreciate the feedvback, though! Thanks!

    the=20
    date
    >>and time in the same cell at the same time. (Since Excel does provide
    >>formatting for same-cell date and time, it seems kind of odd that =

    there
    >isn't
    >>a shortcut to facilitate entry.) Is it possible to create an entirely =

    new
    >shortcut
    >>that doesn't use macros? (This last point is important, since the=20

    workbook

  8. #8

    Re: Creating a Combined Date/Time Shortcut

    If the problem with the macro and shared workbook is that you can't add any
    procedures without unsharing the workbook, then how about adding another
    workbook on that shared drive.

    It's sole purpose would be to provide that shortcut.

    After you create that workbook, you could hide it (windows|hide), close excel
    and answer yes to the save prompt. Then the workbook will open hidden and
    nobody will even know it's there.

    Yes, the users will have to open it -- but just make that a training issue!

    Here's some sample code that may get you started:

    Option Explicit
    Sub auto_open()
    Application.OnKey "^T", "DoTimeDate"
    End Sub
    Sub auto_close()
    Application.OnKey "^T"
    End Sub
    Sub DoTimeDate()
    On Error Resume Next
    With Selection
    .NumberFormat = "mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss"
    .Value = Now
    End With
    On Error GoTo 0
    End Sub

    The shortcut is: ^T (control-shift-t (ctrl-T))