Two identical entries in "Window" list

  1. #1
    John Keith
    Guest

    Two identical entries in "Window" list

    I have a spreadsheet that whenever I open it two identical name
    entries appear in the "Window" menu that shows what files are
    currently open. Any suggestions aobut what characterisitcs of this
    spreadhseet cause this unusual behaviour? Is it going to cause a
    problem at some point? When I close the file both the entries
    disappear.

    Any comments would be appreciated.

    John Keith
    [email protected]

  2. #2
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: Two identical entries in "Window" list

    You may have 2 windows of the same file open. Close one
    (*not* the Excel application). Now save the file.

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  3. #3
    John Keith
    Guest

    Re: Two identical entries in "Window" list

    >You may have 2 windows of the same file open. Close one
    >(*not* the Excel application). Now save the file.

    Well, when I close one of the files in the Window list both entries
    are removed so this process mentioned above is not possible to follow.

    Something else must be going on.

    John Keith
    [email protected]

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Two identical entries in "Window" list

    There's a picture here that illustrates Jason's suggestion to close one
    of the windows:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#TwoWindows

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  5. #5
    Richmond, Virginia
    Try doing a Window Arrange Vertical - so that both files are visible, then click on the X to close one, and the other should remain - then save it and you should be good to go...

  6. #6
    John Keith
    Guest

    Re: Two identical entries in "Window" list

    >There's a picture here that illustrates Jason's suggestion to close one
    >of the windows:
    >
    > http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#TwoWindows

    OK, thanks! That works.

    Interesting difference in the behaviour of using the icon to close the
    file vs. using File|Close.

    John Keith
    [email protected]