Possible to copy sheets into another (closed!) workbook?

  1. #1
    Grotifant
    Guest

    Possible to copy sheets into another (closed!) workbook?

    Hi there

    Would anyone know how I can copy some worksheets into another workbook
    which is closed. The files are so big that I can't open them both at
    the same time.

    Thank you very much!
    Manuel

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Possible to copy sheets into another (closed!) workbook?

    Do it in batches.

    Open bigfile1 and copy the sheets to a new workbook.

    Close bigfile1 and open bigfile2.

    Copy the sheets from newbook to bigfile2.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3
    Grotifant
    Guest

    Re: Possible to copy sheets into another (closed!) workbook?

    Thanks a lot for your reply.

    The problem is that I want to copy all sheets from bigfile2 into
    bigfile1 and I can't open them at the same time. Is there an upper
    limit of the max. filesize in excel? Together the files are around 90MB
    - but I thought that would be fine.

    Cheers,
    Manuel

  4. #4
    Adam Harris
    Guest

    RE: Possible to copy sheets into another (closed!) workbook?

    You could try saving the worksheets as .csv - and then importing the
    information. That way one of the 'big' files will be a 'not nearly as big'
    file. Then you just need to copy/paste special/formats so everything looks
    okay...hopefully.

    Having said that - if the workbooks are so big, have you considered an
    Access DB?

  5. #5
    Grotifant
    Guest

    Re: Possible to copy sheets into another (closed!) workbook?

    Thanks a lot for your help - will try this. You're right, Access would
    probably be a better solution but have never used it before...
    Greetings, Manuel

  6. #6
    Adam Harris
    Guest

    Re: Possible to copy sheets into another (closed!) workbook?

    I'm not a huge Access user myself, but for massaging large chunks of data,
    with basic sort facilities, it seems made for the problem you describe. It is
    not too difficult, with a table representing a worksheet, importing from one
    to another should not be a problem. Good luck.