Getting an semi accurate forecast

  1. #1
    Guest

    Getting an semi accurate forecast

    Think retail sales....I have data from last 2 years of monthly sales, and I am looking for a formula that would take into effect increases or decreases in sales trends year to year but also the month to month trend and the end result would be the forecast of upcoming months sales based on these trends. My feelings are that current trends in increases or decreases should carry more weight than say this April to last April. What I am trying to say is that say Last year to this year growth only shows 2% but since I took over the last couple months have shown increases anywhere from 4 to 8 percent, what formula helps me budget upcoming months sales that incorporates this new found increase

  2. #2
    Chris Rogers
    Guest

    Re: Getting an semi accurate forecast

    you may want to graph your data and then add a trend line with various
    weightings to the months in the details of the trend line.

  3. #3
    Michael R Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Getting an semi accurate forecast

    Chapter 20, "Time Series Seasonality," of my book "Data Analysis Using
    Microsoft Excel: Updated for Office XP," has step-by-step details for three
    methods: regression using indicator variables, autoregression, and classical
    time series decomposition. If you search for those phrases using Google
    Groups, you may find some online assistance.

    - Mike

    www.mikemiddleton.com

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Herbert Seidenberg
    Guest

    Re: Getting an semi accurate forecast

    Mike:
    Got your book and it is great.
    Can you please tackle the data analysis problem I posted
    on Feb 6, "wrong personal.xls reference"?
    Herb

  5. #5
    Michael R Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Getting an semi accurate forecast

    Herb -

    Thanks for the feedback about the book.

    I cannot replicate your personal.xls problem. I don't use a personal.xls
    workbook, but when I created one with an innocuous macro (for bolding a
    selection) and restarted Excel, the Anova tool still made the correct
    reference (Excel 2003 SP1, Windows XP Home). Perhaps there's a macro in your
    personal.xls that causes the problem you're seeing.

    - Mike

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    "Herbert Seidenberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mike: Got your book and it is great. Can you please tackle the data
    > analysis problem I posted on Feb 6, "wrong personal.xls reference"? Herb <

    > Why do the Data Analysis tools reference the Personal.xls instead of the
    > current workbook?

    Example:
    1. Tools | Data Analysis | Anova... | Input Range:
    2. Select A1:A10
    3. The Input Range field will show: [Personal.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10
    4. If I unhide the Personal.xls and close it, the Analysis Tool will
    reference the current workbook.
    Same problem on Excel 2002/Windows ME and Excel 2003/Windows XP. <