Separating date from a Date & Time stamp

  1. #1
    JT
    Guest

    Separating date from a Date & Time stamp

    I need to be able to separate the Date and Time from thousands of entries
    that are list as follows:

    2/6/2005 2:36:45 PM

    If the above is in the same cell, how can I get 2/6/2005 separated out into
    its own cell?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Separating date from a Date & Time stamp

    One way:

    =INT(A1)

    format as a date if necessary.

  3. #3
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Separating date from a Date & Time stamp

    JT,

    You can do this with INT(A2), formatted for the date format you want. But
    there may be no need, if you're using Excel's date/time functions, or just
    want to show only the date. Just format as desired. Format - Cells -
    Number - Date, as desired. Or use Format - Cells - Number - Custom, and
    roll your own date formats.

    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    JT
    Guest

    Re: Separating date from a Date & Time stamp

    Perfect, thank you.

    I know how to format the date and time differently, but I needed to get the
    time portion out of the cell so I can use a pivot table to combine all the
    similar dates together, not the date's and times, which makes them all
    different due to the time stamp.

    Thanks again.