Pivot table displayed by day of the week

  1. #1
    Dan
    Guest

    Pivot table displayed by day of the week

    I would like to create my pivot table displaying data with the date shown as
    day-of-the-week. That is, I have data collected for a period of months. I
    want to group my data for several months into Monday, Tuesday, etc. so I see
    the results for all of the Mondays, Tuesday, etc. in the several month period.

    Example: For the period Jan 1, 2004 to June 30, 2004:

    Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
    Data1 35 20 46 58 98 109 232

    Any suggestions greatly appreciated; can it be done in Pivot Tables?
    Dan

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table displayed by day of the week

    Hi Dan

    One way would be to introduce an extra column to your data headed DAY.
    In this column enter the formula =WEEKDAY(A2) changing the reference to be
    that of the column containing your dates.
    Copy the formula down the column to cover the range of your data.
    Modify your Pivot Table source range to include the new column - DAY
    Make DAY the column value in your PT

    --
    Regards
    Roger Govier
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table displayed by day of the week

    If you'd like the weekday names, instead of numbers, change Roger's
    formula to: =TEXT(A2,"ddd")

    Roger Govier wrote:
    > Hi Dan
    >
    > One way would be to introduce an extra column to your data headed DAY.
    > In this column enter the formula =WEEKDAY(A2) changing the reference to be
    > that of the column containing your dates.
    > Copy the formula down the column to cover the range of your data.
    > Modify your Pivot Table source range to include the new column - DAY
    > Make DAY the column value in your PT

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

  4. #4
    Dan
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table displayed by day of the week

    Thanks, everyone! Just what I wanted...
    Dan