Exiting Excel prompts for save

  1. #1
    MXH
    Guest

    Exiting Excel prompts for save

    Hi,

    Excel 2000 - when I open a workbook then close, I get prompted to Save my
    changes. I also get propmted when closing a blank workbook that has just been
    created.

    Any ideas please?

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Re: Exiting Excel prompts for save

    The blank workbook might mean that you have a book.xlt template file that was
    created in a different (pre xl2k) version of excel.

    Open that template workbook and save it so that xl2k will see it as the same
    version that you are running.

    And for the other workbooks...

    Do you have any of these volatile functions in your workbook?

    AREAS()
    OFFSET()
    CELL()
    INDIRECT()
    ROWS()
    COLUMNS()
    NOW()
    TODAY()
    RAND()

    These evaluate with each calculation. And cause excel to think your workbook
    has changed.

    And excel likes to recalculate workbooks created in earlier versions. Is this
    the case in your situation?

  3. #3
    MXH
    Guest

    Re: Exiting Excel prompts for save

    Dave,

    Thanks for the reply.

    The fact that it happens on blank documents means that I don't think it is a
    recalculation or 'function' issue.

    The template idea is interesting - the user did have Sage Accounts updated
    on their PC recently - could this have possibly added a macro or something on
    startup?

    Mike

  4. #4

    Re: Exiting Excel prompts for save

    I've never heard of Sage Accounts. Maybe someone can chime in.