making graphs ignore "blank " cells

  1. #1
    Guillermo
    Guest

    making graphs ignore "blank " cells

    Hello:
    I have a list of data, but some of the data are invalid and should not be
    taken into consideration (i.e if the data is zero)
    so I have a graph that comes from a range, which includes expression just
    like the following one

    if(A5=0,"",A5*5+10)
    if(A6=0,"",A6*5+10)
    if(A7=0,"",A7*5+10)

    This expression will make a blank cell in case A5 is zero, however it will
    affect the result of my X-Y scatter graph.
    Is there a way to put a character instead of "" so that the graph won't be
    affected (in other words, I want the graph to think it is simply a blank
    cell, and to have the same behavior as if the cell was blank. I use excel
    2000.

    thanks...

    guillermo

  2. #2
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    RE: making graphs ignore "blank " cells

    The plotting is based on data being stored in consecutive columns and rows.
    The recommendation is that the main body of data be set up that way and that
    formula links be created elsewhere in the workbook for the purpose of
    printing or other layout purpose. Charting then becomes a snap.

    You can select non-contiguous ranges of cell for plotting puposes by using
    the Ctrl key, but I do not believe it will solve your particular problem.

    Hope this is useful |:>)

  3. #3
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: making graphs ignore "blank " cells

    =if(A5=0,na(),A5*5+10)

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  4. #4
    Guillermo
    Guest

    Re: making graphs ignore "blank " cells

    awesome.

    thanks,

    guillermo...
    Atlanta, GA as well....

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Guillermo
    Guest

    Re: making graphs ignore "blank " cells

    yea, because the way I have the data, it is not possible for me to have
    everthing consecutively.
    Jason's suggestion was what I was looking for.

    but thanks also

    guillermo

    news:[email protected]...