Excel "drops" text if cell content is bigger than what is displayed ...

  1. #1
    Joe HM
    Guest

    Excel "drops" text if cell content is bigger than what is displayed ...

    Hello -

    I noticed that occasionally data gets lost when I copy a cell from one
    Excel spreadsheet to another. The textcontent of the cell is larger
    than what is displayed and it seems like everything that is not visible
    gets truncated during the copy/paste operation. Is this a problem with
    the Office Clipboard?

    I'm using Excel 2002 SP3 on Windows 2000 SP4.

    Thanks,
    Joe

  2. #2

    Re: Excel "drops" text if cell content is bigger than what is displayed...

    It sounds like you have multiple instances of excel open at the same time (not
    just one instance with two workbooks open in that instance).

    Try copy|pasting in a single instance.

    If you started excel by double clicking on a file (say in windows explorer), you
    may want to try this to stop the multiple instance behavior.

    Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

    --- or ---

    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver
    then
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /regserver

    factory defaults.

  3. #3
    Joe HM
    Guest

    Re: Excel "drops" text if cell content is bigger than what is displayed ...

    Great! That is probably it ... I'll try it ...

    Thanks so much!
    Joe