excel closes when trying to open certain files

  1. #1
    SMY
    Guest

    excel closes when trying to open certain files

    Excel 2003 will close when trying to open a specific file. When Excel is
    reopened the file is in the recovery box. When I open the file from the
    recovery box it gives a message that the file is too corrupt to repair and
    most of my data is gone along with any formatting. This is the only file
    that seems to be affected and it use to open without any problems. The same
    file will open on other computers with Excel 2003 without any problems. The
    only difference between this file and others that seem to have no problem is
    before the file opens, it ask to disable or enable macros. This file has no
    macros that I know of, since I deleted any macros in the macro list for this
    file a long time ago. Does anyone know why my version of Excel is corrupting
    this file and closing down? Someone please help, I work with this file daily
    on my computer and need to be able to open it. thanks

  2. #2
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: excel closes when trying to open certain files

    If Excel cannot open it, I would suggest that your only viable option is to
    give the free Office-suite OpenOffice a go at opening and repairing it. It
    is very very good at recovering Excel files that Excel itself cannot. You
    may find you lose formatting, formulas or get nothing at all, but it's worth
    a shot. Its a free 70MB download, or, depending on how big your file is,
    and how sensitive your data, I could try it for you.

    www.openoffice.org

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    SMY
    Guest

    Re: excel closes when trying to open certain files

    Ken, thankyou for your suggestion and for offering your help, but I can open
    the file on other computers within my office and retrieve all original data,
    formulas, and formatting with out any problem at all. I just can't open the
    same file on my computer, which leads me to believe there is something wrong
    or corrupt with the Excel on my computer alone and not a problem with the
    actual file. What do you think? thanks again.

  4. #4
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: excel closes when trying to open certain files

    Hmmm - If you were using XL2000 then I'd be pretty sure I knew why, but
    given it's 2003 I'm surprised. Try searching for and deleting a file called
    *.xlb which is your toolbar customisation file. That was always suspect in
    2000, but it's pretty much been fixed as far as I know. Excel will just
    create another one when it needs it.

    Worth a shot anyway.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    <snip>

  5. #5
    SMY
    Guest

    Re: excel closes when trying to open certain files

    Thanks, I'll try it when I'm back in the office on Monday.