Why does Excel interpret 2/29 as Feb 1st?

  1. #1
    Jo
    Guest

    Why does Excel interpret 2/29 as Feb 1st?

    I have the cells formated to show the dates as "2-Feb" for instance. But
    when I type in 2/29, Excel converts it to "1-Feb". The only way I can bet it
    to accept 2/29 is to format the cells as text. What am I doing wrong?

  2. #2
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Why does Excel interpret 2/29 as Feb 1st?

    Hi

    Try to type in 2005/2/29 (or whatever is the date format you use)

    Arvi Laanemets

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Why does Excel interpret 2/29 as Feb 1st?

    Because there is no Feb 29 2005, since you don't enter the year Excel will
    assume it is the current year based on your computer clock, to be able to
    enter 02/29 precede with apostrophe '02/29 (not visible in cell) or enter a
    leap year
    (02/29/04) and use custom format mm/dd

    Peo Sjoblom

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Why does Excel interpret 2/29 as Feb 1st?

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 21:53:13 +0200, "Arvi Laanemets" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Try to type in 2005/2/29 (or whatever is the date format you use)

    What date format would that be, that would give 29 Feb 2005 ?? :-))

    --ron

  5. #5
    Ron Rosenfeld

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:45:03 -0800, "Jo" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have the cells formated to show the dates as "2-Feb" for instance. But
    >when I type in 2/29, Excel converts it to "1-Feb". The only way I can bet it
    >to accept 2/29 is to format the cells as text. What am I doing wrong?

    Excel tries to parse your input as best it can. So it understands the 2 as
    February. Since this is not a leap year, it next assumes that the '29'
    represents a year, and assumes that you want the first day of February. Hence,
    it is interpreting your input as 1 Feb 2029 (or 1929 depending on some other
    settings) and displaying it as d-mmm which is how your cell is formatted.

    Since there is no such date in this year, perhaps you should explain more
    clearly what you are trying to accomplish.

    --ron

  6. #6
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Why does Excel interpret 2/29 as Feb 1st?

    Hi

    I'm not sure about date, but hour was too late :-))))

    Arvi Laanemets

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: Why does Excel interpret 2/29 as Feb 1st?

    Your "problem" is that if you type two digits that can be interpreted as a
    month and day, then Excel assumes you mean that date in the CURRENT YEAR. So
    what you type is equivalent to 2/29/2005. Since 2005 isn't a leap year, that's
    not a valid date, so Excel assumes your 2 digits represent a month and year,
    i.e. February, 1929, with the day of the month equal to 1, and formats the
    cell as you see.

    If you don't intend something the "looks like" a date to be interpreted as a
    date, you must first format the cells as text (as you are doing), or precede
    your entry with an apostrophe, i.e. type '2/29