Absolutely Stumped!

  1. #1
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Absolutely Stumped!

    Enter it with ctrl + shift & enter

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  2. #2
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Absolutely Stumped!

    Anything happen if you hit F9?

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Absolutely Stumped!

    Depends on the formula. Why don't you tell us what it is...? And you
    probably ought to let us know what the "correct" result and the "wrong"
    result are, as well.

    One cause could be that the formula needs to be array-entered (with
    CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER or CMD-RETURN). There are others.

    In article <[email protected]>,

  4. #4
    Brett
    Guest

    Absolutely Stumped!

  5. #5
    Brett
    Guest

    Re: Absolutely Stumped!

    The formula is a very complicated "mega formula" involving many levels of
    named formulas containing array formulas. The cell formula I was refering to
    was array-entered so that's not the problem. The formula was evaluating
    properly until I added a 5th level to the nested IF statements. The formula
    has been copied down a column and the first 3 rows evaluate correctly, but
    from the 4th row on, the value displayed is the same as row 3, when it should
    be a different value (the one showing in "Funtion Arguements" dialog box
    (see original posting)). Even more puzzling, is that the 5th level in the
    nested IF statement shouldn't really be causing a problem, since the formula
    evaluates to TRUE at the 3rd nested IF statement and the 5th level would not
    even be evaluated unless the 3rd level evaluated to FALSE.
    Could it be that my computer doesn't have enough RAM (512MB)?

  6. #6
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Absolutely Stumped!

    I'm with JE in that without seeing it it's very hard to do much about it,
    albeit given you have multiple named formulas you would have to list those
    too.

    That having been said, if it's really evaluating correctly initially and
    then failing as you copy down, then that is usually a sign of having a range
    in the formula that is relative when it is supposed to be absolute. Any
    chance that could be the case?

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    <snip>

  7. #7
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    Re: Absolutely Stumped!

    Ditto Ken & JE about shooting in the dark, but it sounds like Ken's on the
    right track about the absolute reference. There could also be something
    related to the order of operations if there was some editing done recently
    (as in "The formula was evaluating properly until I added a 5th level to the
    nested IF statements.") |:>)

  8. #8
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Absolutely Stumped!

    Can one really build a "mega formula" with the Insert
    Function dialog?

    Biff

    Excel

    --------------------

  9. #9
    Brett
    Guest

    Re: Absolutely Stumped!

    OK. After further troubleshooting I have isolated the source of the problem.
    The problem was not coming from the formulas in the cells that were
    displaying the incorrect values. I thought that adding a 5th level to the
    nested IF statements was the start of the problem, but that wasn't it. I had
    also made a change to the cell formulas in an adjacent column which were
    being referenced by the cells having the display problem.

    Here is the formula being referenced that is causing the problem:

    IF(SUM(IF((Expiry_Dates_Array-TODAY()>=0)*(Expiry_Dates_Array-TODAY()<=2),1,0))-ROW()+Last_Non_Expiry_Message_Row+1>0,Expiry_Message,"")

    More specifically, the volatile function TODAY(), in the above formula, is
    responsible for the error. I don't understand why this is, but if I replace
    TODAY() with the date code, the problem disappears. Too bad I can't use this
    function! I'll have to think up some other way. Any suggestions?

  10. #10
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Absolutely Stumped!

    > Here is the formula being referenced that is causing the problem:

    IF(SUM(IF((Expiry_Dates_Array-TODAY()>=0)*(Expiry_Dates_Array-TODAY()<=2),1,
    0))-ROW()+Last_Non_Expiry_Message_Row+1>0,Expiry_Message,"")

    The TODAY() function affects only the first part of your formula, ie the

    =SUM(IF((Expiry_Dates_Array-TODAY()>=0)*(Expiry_Dates_Array-TODAY()<=2),1,0)
    )

    That works fine for me assuming that is meant to count records within 2 days
    of expiry, so can't see why that would kill it. When you say date code, I'm
    assuming you mean something like 38409. Obviously though, it's hard to
    really tell without all the other linking formulas etc.

    Another way of doing that with less function calls would be as follows:-

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(Expiry_Dates_Array-TODAY()>=0),--(Expiry_Dates_Array-TODAY()<
    =2))

    There is no need to array to array enter the above section using SUMPRODUCT
    as is, but if your formula is part of a bigger one then that may mean the
    whole thing still has to be array entered.

    You might also want to consider putting TODAY() into a cell, naming it and
    then referencing that cell. I think it will only have to evaluate TODAY()
    once that way, though not 100% sure wrt a volatile function to be honest. I
    expect somebody will pick me up if I'm wrong there :-)

  11. #11
    Brett
    Guest

    Re: Absolutely Stumped!

    Ken, thanks for the tip about SUMPRODUCT! I've never used this function
    before, but it looks very useful.
    I was also thinking the problem may be solved by referencing TODAY() from a
    single cell instead of calling the function in every cell of the column where
    it's needed. Unfortunately, that didn't work either.
    One solution, if it's doable, is something similar to the above, but instead
    of entering the function TODAY() into the cell, "Paste Value" instead. I
    would have to write a macro that would do this every time a recalculation was
    made though, or else do it manually once a day.
    Although, I have created a few macros, my knowledge of VB is very limited.
    However, I do remember reading something on the web about macros that can
    detect certain events, like recalculations, and then run a procedure in
    response. Having a macro to do this would make things a lot easier, but I can
    see this task consuming a lot of my time.
    Wish there were a simpler solution!

  12. #12
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Absolutely Stumped!

    I'm struggling to see why it won't work to be honest, and am wondering if it
    means that there is perhaps another error in your formula somewhere. If you
    try the section of the formula that I outlined on it's own, you should see
    that it works in isolation, so there is little reason to believe it won't
    work as part of another formula. The SUMPRODUCT formula also works fine in
    isolation, so same again.

    Have you tried breaking the formula down and testing each of the elements
    individually, or perhaps using Tools / Formula Auditing / Evaluate to see
    which parts of the formula don't evaluate correctly?

  13. #13
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Absolutely Stumped!

    Sorry, should also have given you a link for an explanation of SUMPRODUCT:-

  14. #14
    Brett
    Guest

    Re: Absolutely Stumped!

    Take a look for yourself.
    I've created a very simplified example of the original worksheet problem
    I've been having. The example given below isn't a perfect representation of
    what I've been trying to accomplish, so I'm not looking for a more elegant
    way of writing it, but it does demonstrate the same problem that arises when
    using the TODAY() function.
    Basically, the example attempts to return the smallest integer >0 which does
    not exist previously in the column, or has a date which is expired.

    Instructions: Highlight and copy the following, then on a blank worksheet,
    select cell A1 and paste the example.

    =TODAY()

    =TODAY()-3 =IF(A3-A$1<0,"Expired","") 1
    =TODAY() =IF(A4-A$1<0,"Expired","") 2
    =TODAY()-2 =IF(A5-A$1<0,"Expired","") 4
    =TODAY()+1 =IF(A6-A$1<0,"Expired","") 5
    =TODAY()-1 =IF(A7-A$1<0,"Expired","") 7
    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(1,IF(B$3:B7<>"Expired",C$3:C7),0)),1,MIN(IF(ISNA(MATCH(C$3:C7+1,IF(B$3:B7<>"Expired",C$3:C7),0)),C$3:C7+1)))

    Now select cell C8 and array-enter the formula. Then copy the formula down
    C9:C13.
    Next copy column A and "Paste Values" to column E. Then copy columns B:C and
    "Paste Formulas" to columns F:G. Done.

    Now you have 2 examples side-by-side where the only difference is that the
    one on the left uses the TODAY() function and the example on the right uses
    the date codes instead.
    Notice how G8:G13 returns the correct values while C8:C13 does not.

    Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

  15. #15
    Brett

  16. #16
    Brett
    Guest

    Re: Absolutely Stumped!

    Sorry, I should have included in the instructions to "Paste Special / Text"
    the example to cell A1.

  17. #17
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Absolutely Stumped!

    I'm assuming then that you get in cells:-

    C8 1 G8 1
    C9 2 G9 3
    C10 2 G10 4
    C11 2 G11 6
    C12 2 G12 7
    C13 2 G13 8

    and if you copy A3:A7 into E3:E7 then you get

    C8 1 G8 1
    C9 2 G9 2
    C10 2 G10 2
    C11 2 G11 2
    C12 2 G12 2
    C13 2 G13 2

    so therefore seeing as the only difference is the TODAY() function it must
    be that yes?

    Assuming that to be the case, have you then tried reversing that logic to
    see if it holds true the other way, because if you were correct, then
    copying E3:E7 to A3:A7 I assume you would expect to return:-

    C8 1 G8 1
    C9 3 G9 3
    C10 4 G10 4
    C11 6 G11 6
    C12 7 G12 7
    C13 8 G13 8

    Try it though :-)

  18. #18
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Absolutely Stumped!

    I'm struggling, sorry :-( Evaluate Formula tells me that C9 should be 3
    yet it returns 2

    --
    Regards
    Ken....................... <snip>

  19. #19
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Absolutely Stumped!

    Grrr - hadn't realised that the formulas in Col B were referencing a
    TODAY() - apologies.

    --
    Regards

    <snip>