Can't Open Saved File

  1. #1
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Can't Open Saved File

    What version Excel?

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  2. #2
    JEFF
    Guest

    Can't Open Saved File

  3. #3
    JEFF
    Guest

    Re: Can't Open Saved File

    2000 SR-1 Professional .... Thanks

    Excel

    ------------------
    > It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask

    permission :-)

    ------------------

  4. #4
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Can't Open Saved File

    Firstly, can anyone else open the file or is it just you that has the
    problem?
    If just you then it's possible it's your *.xlb file (Toolbar customisation
    file) is beginning to corrupt, although a 50MB workbook in 2000 probably
    isn't good anyway (See Charles Williams' site as to Excel'a internal memory
    limits)

    http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimitsc.htm

    You can try deleting your *.xlb and then opening the file. (You will lose
    any toolbar customisations)

    You can try asking someone with Excel 2002 or 2003 to open the file (Agains
    see Charles' site as to why they will have more luck than you). Besides the
    memory improvements they also have 'open and repair' options

    You can try opening it in OpenOffice which is a free officesuite available
    from

    www.openoffice.org

    though it's a 70MB download. It can often open excel files that even Excel
    can't.

  5. #5
    RWN
    Guest

    Re: Can't Open Saved File

    Have you tried shutting off the Automatic calculation (Tools->Options->Calculation and
    check "Manual") before opening the workbook?

    --
    Regards;
    Rob

  6. #6
    JEFF
    Guest

    Re: Can't Open Saved File

    Thanks for the repy: Yes, unsuccessfully

  7. #7
    JEFF
    Guest

    Re: Can't Open Saved File

    Thanks for the reply:

    1. I'm here alone, but have a PC and laptop both trying to open it (resides
    on network)

    2. Tried the *.xlb file fix, no luck

    3. I think I will try your websites.... Thanks.

  8. #8
    RWN
    Guest

    Re: Can't Open Saved File

    Geez, I'm batting 1000 here!.
    It's beyond me as both the suggestions I gave have worked for me in the past, albeit my
    files weren't that big (mind you, I don't profess to being an expert).

    Have you let it "sit" for an extended period of time?
    I had a similar occurrence this last week (file opening to a point then task mgr = "Not
    Responding).
    I kept ending the task after about a minute or so. Then, by fluke, when I tried opening
    it again I got called away for about 30 minutes and when I returned it had finished up.
    Turned out that I had a very "piggish" command ("=SUM(1/COUNTIF(A2:A23896,A2:A23896))")
    that I'd forgotten about on one of the sheets. I closed the book and set the calc mode to
    Manual and it opened no problem.
    When you find it I'd be interested to know what it was ("forewarned is forearmed").

    --
    Regards;
    Rob

  9. #9
    JEFF
    Guest

    Re: Can't Open Saved File

    Thanks, but again no luck.....

  10. #10
    RWN
    Guest

    Re: Can't Open Saved File

  11. #11
    JEFF
    Guest

    Re: Can't Open Saved File

    I appreciate the effort! I'm going to let the pig sit and try to open
    over-night ... Thanks again.

  12. #12
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Can't Open Saved File

    Don't know how sensitive your data is, but if you zip a copy of the file,
    how big is the zip file?

  13. #13
    JEFF
    Guest

    Re: Can't Open Saved File

    It goes from 53,920 KB to 52,142 (so much for packing)

  14. #14
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Can't Open Saved File

    Something's wrong. I'd expect it be circa 10% of that, unless you have it
    full of bitmaps or something like that. You didn't have Winzip set to no
    compression or something did you?

    Where I was heading was that if you could get down to say a 10MB file or
    less and were OK to email it to me, then I'd have a go at recovering it and
    send it back for you.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    "JEFF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It goes from 53,920 KB to 52,142 (so much for packing)
    >
    > "Ken Wright" wrote:
    >
    > > Don't know how sensitive your data is, but if you zip a copy of the

    file,
    > > how big is the zip file?

    <snip> >

  15. #15
    JEFF
    Guest

    Re: Can't Open Saved File

    Me too -- everything else I Zip gets compacted. For example, I have a very
    similar workbook that I was able to reduce fom 54MB to 9MB.... I'm out of
    ideas, you?

    Thanks

  16. #16
    JEFF
    Guest

    Re: Can't Open Saved File

    One more note: the workbook is password protected -- not sure if this
    matters as it hasn't in the past.....

  17. #17
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Can't Open Saved File

    Did you try the OpenOffice option?

  18. #18
    JEFF
    Guest

    Re: Can't Open Saved File

    Success at last! After going to the website you recommened (below), the
    light bulb went on and I found someone with Excel 2003 and voila!

    Thanks for all the help

    http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimitsc.htm

    the Found someone with Excel 2003 and they were able to open it.

  19. #19
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Can't Open Saved File

    Good stuff - Now would be a good time to make a backup copy though :-)