Race times

  1. #1
    Tx Runner
    Guest

    Race times

    How do I calculate minutes per mile, minutes per Kilometer, etc in Excel?

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Race times

    Minutes per mile.........

    =((StopTime-StartTime)*1440)/miles

    Vaya con dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tx Runner
    Guest

    Re: Race times

    Either I did not enter the calculation correctly or asked the question wrong.
    Examples of what I want to figure:
    (Cell A1) Distance: 3200 meters or 3.2 kilometers
    (B1) Time: 13 minutes, 02 seconds
    (C1) Pace: I want to calculate my pace per mile and my pace per 400 meters

    (Cell A2) Distance: 2 Miles
    (B2) Time: 6 minutes, 41 seconds
    (C2) Pace: I want to calculate my pace per mile and my pace per 400 meters

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007
    Hi!

    Chuck gave you a precise answer to your first question so, as you surmise, the question wasn't all it needed to be.

    Now you introduce the concept of pace. My understanding is it has 2 relevant meanings:

    a pace is a step or stride;
    pace is speed.

    The first (probably irrelevant) oddly enough fits the wording of your question quite well: how many paces per kilometre is a perfectly valid concept. Answer is a pure number and needs the length of your stride to evaluate it.

    Pace as speed will be expressed in units like kilometres per hour; yards per minute or whatever. Clearly not your objective.

    So I'm left thinking you actually want to find your time for various distances.

    Back to simple proportion: if it takes 13 min 02 sec to run 3.2 km we can find the corresponding times for a mile or 400 metres thus:

    A1 has 3.2 and B1 has 13 and C1 has 2 (respectively km, min and sec)
    D1 =B1*60+C1 (convert to seconds)
    E1 =(0.4/A1)*D1 (0.4 is 400 m or 0.4 km: answer is in seconds)
    F1 =int(E1/60) & "min " & E1-60*int(E1/60) & "sec"

    To get the time for 1 mile, you could substitute the no. of metres in a mile instead of 0.4 in the formula in E1. A suitable value would be CONVERT(1,"mi","m")(literally convert 1 mile to metres) or about 1609.

    Alf

  5. #5
    Jim Harris
    Guest

    Re: Race times

    This might help with the mile pace, but you will have to do the 400m on your
    own. This a formula from Thinman's running log, avail on his website.
    =IF(D3>0,E3/D3,"")
    http://thinnmann.com

    Jim Harris

  6. #6
    ditchy
    Guest

    Re: Race times

    Tx Runner wrote:
    > Either I did not enter the calculation correctly or asked the

    question wrong.
    > Examples of what I want to figure:
    > (Cell A1) Distance: 3200 meters or 3.2 kilometers
    > (B1) Time: 13 minutes, 02 seconds
    > (C1) Pace: I want to calculate my pace per mile and my pace per 400

    meters

    > (Cell A2) Distance: 2 Miles
    > (B2) Time: 6 minutes, 41 seconds
    > (C2) Pace: I want to calculate my pace per mile and my pace per 400

    meters

    > "CLR" wrote:
    >
    > > Minutes per mile.........
    > >
    > > =((StopTime-StartTime)*1440)/miles
    > >

    > > Vaya con dios,
    > > Chuck, CABGx3
    > >

    > > "Tx Runner" <Tx [email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > How do I calculate minutes per mile, minutes per Kilometer, etc

    in Excel?

    > >Tx Runner, try this formula

    (A1) 3.20 distance
    (B1) 0:13:02 time