Printing floating point numbers

  1. #1

    Printing floating point numbers

    Hi,

    Here is a problem I am like help with regard to rounding in excel.

    4.4 is rounded to 4. So 4.4 + 4.4 = 8.8 which is correctly rounded to
    9. When this is printed, the user sees 4 + 4 = 9. Clearly, this has the
    tendency to confuse. I would like to avoid rounding when printing and I
    would appreciate any advice or tips.

    Thanks,

    -R

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Printing floating point numbers

    But which one shouldn't "round"? The 4s or the 8? Be aware that hey are not
    really rounded, they are only displayed inaccurately.
    Really the only way to get this right is to display enough decimal
    positions.
    See also

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/pennyoff.html

    --

    Kind Regards,

    Niek Otten

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld

    On 1 Mar 2005 05:09:01 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Here is a problem I am like help with regard to rounding in excel.
    >
    >4.4 is rounded to 4. So 4.4 + 4.4 = 8.8 which is correctly rounded to
    >9. When this is printed, the user sees 4 + 4 = 9. Clearly, this has the
    >tendency to confuse. I would like to avoid rounding when printing and I
    >would appreciate any advice or tips.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >-R

    Well, if you format the numbers as "General" then they should print
    non-rounded.

    Is it that you want to display the rounded values on the worksheet, but print
    them non-rounded?

    If so, you could use a VBA event routine (Workbook_BeforePrint) to temporarily
    change the formatting, and then change it back after the printing is finished.
    --ron

  4. #4
    rn29
    Guest

    Re: Printing floating point numbers

    Thanks for all your very helful responses. I think the
    Workbook_BeforePrint event is probably the best method to solving this
    problem. All I need to do is to change the number formatting
    temporarily just before print and reset after the print event is
    complete. Thanks again.

    -Reuben

  5. #5
    Ron Rosenfeld

    On 2 Mar 2005 05:46:52 -0800, "rn29" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thanks for all your very helful responses. I think the
    >Workbook_BeforePrint event is probably the best method to solving this
    >problem. All I need to do is to change the number formatting
    >temporarily just before print and reset after the print event is
    >complete. Thanks again.
    >
    >-Reuben

    You're welcome.

    --ron