Can't group by dates in Excel 2003 pivot table

  1. #1
    barbara1234
    Guest

    Can't group by dates in Excel 2003 pivot table

    I do not get a Group By dialog box when I select Group. It adds a group name,
    but puts everything in one big group.

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Can't group by dates in Excel 2003 pivot table

    If there are text entries, or blank cells in the date column, you won't
    be able to group the field. If that's the problem, perhaps you could
    delete any text, and add a "dummy" date to records with no date.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    barbara1234
    Guest

    RE: Can't group by dates in Excel 2003 pivot table

    Thanks Debra. I'll have to clean up the data.

  4. #4
    Minh Le
    Guest

    Re: Can't group by dates in Excel 2003 pivot table

    Hi Debra,

    I have the same problem - can't group dates (into by month, quarter, or
    year). I have reformatd the date column (cells) in date format. Any other
    suggestion pls

    Minh Le
    [email protected]

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Can't group by dates in Excel 2003 pivot table

    Are there any blank cells in the data column of the source data?
    Did you include blank rows at the end of the pivot table?

  6. #6
    Minh Le
    Guest

    Re: Can't group by dates in Excel 2003 pivot table

    Hi Deb,

    Source data is from Excel sheet, there is no blank cells in that column of
    the data table (note the data table did not fill the whole sheet); and I did
    not select blank row in pivot table.

    Thanks for your help

    Minh Le

  7. #7
    USA
    MS-Off Ver

    Smile Re: Can't group by dates in Excel 2003 pivot table

    I know this reply is to an issue almost 10 years old... but just in case anyone else is using an old version of Microsoft Excel: I had this problem myself, no options to Group by date, just grouped everything as "Group 1". Check that your data is actually entered as a number not as Text. My data had been exported from another program and the date data was formatted as text. (You can tell by looking at the data cells; dates formatted as text are left-aligned, date values are normally right-aligned). To convert a big data set of text to dates you may need to use the DATEVALUE function. You may then need to redo your pivot table so it pulls from the updated and correct data. Good luck!