How do I reference non-contiguous columns in another sheet and th.

  1. #1
    Bill Nash
    Guest

    How do I reference non-contiguous columns in another sheet and th.

    I have a worksheet that contains several years of montlhy data on cost
    increases and decreases. I have another sheet w/ one column that summarizes
    the first quarter's data. How do I fill across on the second sheet so that
    the cells contain the correct data from the monthly sheet and the correct
    forlmulas from the first column on the quarterly sheet? This means the second
    sheet has to reference non-contiguous columns on the first sheet.
    This

    Thank you

    Bill Nash
    [email protected]

  2. #2
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: How do I reference non-contiguous columns in another sheet and th.

    I understand the difficulty: since elements on the first sheet are not
    contiguous, creating outyear totals is not simply a matter of pasting
    the totals column into a "Year 2" (or whatever) position.

    Not knowing the layout of your information makes this a little dicey,
    but here's a possibility. You can label the appropriate columns with
    "Year 1", "Year 2", etc- suppose these appear in Row 1. On your totals
    sheet, write a SUMIF along the lines of =SUMIF(A1:G1,"Year 1",A2:G50)
    This sums everything in the range A2:G50 if there is a column header
    "Year 1" in the first row. You can hide the labels in row 1 if you
    need to.

    Does this get you a little closer?

  3. #3
    Bill Nash
    Guest

    Re: How do I reference non-contiguous columns in another sheet and

    Dave

    Thanks for your help on Excel. I tried what you suggested but had no luck.
    I think perhaps part of the problem might be that I am a new user and lack
    much of the basic knowledge! I think I thought that this would be a common
    application and would have a pretty simple solution - shows how wrong you can
    be!

    Thanks anyway - I'll keep working on it!

    Bill

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: How do I reference non-contiguous columns in another sheet and

    Is there any system in the non-contiguous columns like every 3rd for
    instance, then it can be done using OFFSET
    and COLUMN, post back if that is the case

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...