Troubel with compression of a very large Excel file

  1. #1
    Thorsten Pollmeier
    Guest

    Troubel with compression of a very large Excel file

    Hi,

    When trying to compress a very large Excel file (>30MB) either with Winzip
    or WinRar, the compression does not result in a significant reduction (max.
    -3% only in the best compression mode).

    From my experience it seems to me that there is something like a
    'hidden/magic' limit around ~25 MB and below this a compression is not a
    problem, but above it is. Even if the large file is reduced back to a very
    small one, the compression still does not result anymore in a significant
    reduction (e.g. when deleting data in the >30MB file to bring it back to 5MB,
    the following compression result is still max. -3%).

    The size of the >30 MB is mainly driven by: ~2500 data sets as rows with 50
    basis data information columns plus further 150 complex calculation columns
    including lookup references to around ~30 parameter tables on another sheet.
    Additionally, around 30 referenced charts are part of the file plus 1 pivot
    overview table for the result.

    The most commonly heard resolution approach is to do it at least in Access
    and not in Excel due the data amount and required
    calculation/parameterization effort. BUT there is a business reason behind
    why it is done this way. Hence, does anybody has a good idea how to get the
    file compressed to a size ~ 5MB (that's what I reach if the basis file is
    <25MB)?

    I have also heard that this issue is maybe related to an 'Excel internal
    compression algorithm'. Does anybody know something about this?

    I really appreciate your feedback/support and would like to thank you for
    your help in advance,
    Thorsten

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Troubel with compression of a very large Excel file

    It sounds as if you have password protected your workbook. This results in
    an encrypted file that has far fewer "patterns" that compression programs
    depend in. If you must encrypt the file I'd suggest that you not do it in
    Excel but rather do it with the encryption program. I believe they all have
    an option to password protect.

    --
    Jim Rech
    Excel MVP

  3. #3
    Thorsten Pollmeier
    Guest

    Re: Troubel with compression of a very large Excel file

    Hi Jim,

    excellent. You are right. Your suggestion works. Thank you very much!