Why does excel create a copy of the worksheet i open

  1. #1
    Renee
    Guest

    Why does excel create a copy of the worksheet i open

    When I open my worksheet named cardlist.xls, excel opens that file but then
    calls is cardlist:1 and then creates a copy cardlist:2, but when I save it
    only saves as the original file name... what causes this?

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Why does excel create a copy of the worksheet i open

    You have more than one window open for the workbook. Close one of
    the windows.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Why does excel create a copy of the worksheet i open

    What happened is that you opened 2 windows of the same file and saved, open
    the file again
    press ctrl + F4, save the file

    Peo Sjoblom

  4. #4
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: Why does excel create a copy of the worksheet i open

    It sounds like you may have inadvertently opened a second instance of
    the same file. You can do this (on purpose) by clicking >Window >New.
    If you save the file in this format, it reopens with both instances
    showing.

    Resolve it by clicking the X in the upper right corner of the :2
    instance. Save the file, and from then on you'll see only one instance.

  5. #5
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: Why does excel create a copy of the worksheet i open

    Just being picky about semantics, but this isn't "a second instance of the
    same file". Two windows means two different views of the same data, not two
    copies of the data in memory.