linking values from one sheet to another

  1. #1
    Amie
    Guest

    linking values from one sheet to another

    I have a workbook with 2 sheets. The input sheet has dollar values for 300
    objects. I link the cells from the input sheet to the chart sheet by
    entering "+" in the cell on the chart sheet then going to get the amount on
    the input sheet.

    However, when I do a data sort on the input sheet, the values on the chart
    sheet change. I need the values on the chart sheet to stay "follow" the cell
    on the input sheet when I do data sorts on the input sheet.

    Hope I've explained it ok.

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Re: linking values from one sheet to another

    I don't think you can do anything more using the method you're using.

    Any chance you can put a key value in sheet2 and then use =vlookup() to retrieve
    the values you want.

    Debra Dalgleish has some instructions for =vlookup() and =index(match()) at:
    and

  3. #3
    Amie
    Guest

    Re: linking values from one sheet to another

    I don't think that Vlookup will work, the table on the input page is not in
    the same format as the chart page. Absolute values won't work either, I need
    to be able to change both the amount in each cell on the input page as well
    as be able to sort the input page in various ways. The chart page needs to
    reference the original input cell no matter where it ends up as the sorts
    happen.