Determining the age of an individual

  1. #1
    Craig
    Guest

    Determining the age of an individual

    If I have a column with the date of births of a group of individuals how can
    I determine their age (in the adjacent column) at their next birthday or as
    of 1/1/2005?

  2. #2
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Determining the age of an individual

    Hi

    =DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"Y") does return the number of full years between
    2 dates.
    =DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"YM") does return the number of full months over
    full years.
    =DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"MD") does return the number of days over full
    months.

    Combined formula:
    =TRIM(IF(DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"Y")=0,"",DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"Y")
    & " year" & IF(DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"Y")=1,"s","")) &
    IF(DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"YM")=0,"", " " &
    DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"YM") & " month" &
    IF(DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"YM")=1,"s","")) &
    IF(DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"MD")=0,"", " " &
    DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"MD") & " day" &
    IF(DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"MD")=1,"s","")))

    StartDate will be the reference to cell with birth date in it, EndDate
    either a function TODAY(), or DATE(2005,1,1)

    Arvi Laanemets

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Determining the age of an individual

    You can use the =datedif() function.

    You can find lots of information about =datedif() at Chip Pearson's site:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm