long address list, name-address-city, listed vertically, how do y.

  1. #1
    kb
    Guest

    long address list, name-address-city, listed vertically, how do y.

    I need to sort a long address list, that is listed down not accross.
    name-address-city, is that possible

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: long address list, name-address-city, listed vertically, how do y.

    kb

    Is your data consistent?

    i.e. sets of 3 or 4 or 5? Like so....

    Name
    Address
    City
    State
    Zip
    Name
    Address
    City
    State
    Zip

    If so, there are a couple of methods, one using formulas, the other using a
    macro.

    Assume your data starts in A2.

    In B2 enter this formula and drag/copy across to F2 and down until you get
    zeros appearing.

    =OFFSET($A$1,(ROW()-1)*5+COLUMN()-1,0)

    The 5 should be adjusted to whatever number constitutes a set.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: long address list, name-address-city, listed vertically, how do y.

    Some additional information you might need.

    Gord's assumption is that since the list is in one column that
    you would want each person (address) on there own row,
    which is what Gord gave you, because that is the way you
    would keep such data in a spreadsheet; otherwise, there wouldn't
    be any purpose in using a spreadsheet. Before you sort you would
    want to convert those formulas to constants.

    Select all (ctrl+a)
    Edit, Paste Special, Values

    You would use mail merge in MS Word to print labels from
    your Excel spreadsheet.

    If your data does not match Gord's assumption some other
    possibilities -- mainly that you have a blank row between sets
    can be found in http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm

    For information on using Mail Merge, with your name, address portions
    all in separate columns see
    ---
    HTH,