Selecting Data Points from graph

  1. #1
    Keith Bramley
    Guest

    Selecting Data Points from graph

    Hi,

    I have an Excel graph that i want to select points from, i have to select
    100 or so
    points from a set of about 1000, what i would like to do is scroll the
    pointer along the graph and when i hit a point i would like to keep i want
    to be able to press enter or something and have that points data put into a
    new table/column on the spreadsheet.

    Is it possible to do this with some form of macro or VB code

    thanks in advance

    Keith

  2. #2
    Kent, UK
    Try either of these sites which are excellent for graph tips and tricks

    http://www.peltiertech.com/index.html

    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/index.html

  3. #3
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Selecting Data Points from graph

    Keith,

    There still isn't an easy VBA method to tell what graph point is selected -
    This has been a desired addition to Excel for a long time.

    But, there is a fairly simple workaround. Make a copy of your data, and
    paste it nearby. Graph the data, and when you select your data points,
    click each and then wait until the cursor turns into a double headed arrow,
    and then click and drag the data point. Doing so will actually change the
    data in the data table used to generate the graph.

    Then, when you are done doing so, create another table of formulas, using a
    formula like:

    =IF(A1<>G1,G1,"")

    Where A1 is the upper left hand cell of your graphed data, and G1 is the
    upper left hand cell of the copy of the data set. Copy the formula to
    create another table, and only the original values of the points that you
    changed will appear within the formula table. Of course, you may need to
    modify the formula to pick up other values like labels and headers, but that
    should give you the general idea.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    "Keith Bramley" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Keith Bramley
    Guest

    Re: Selecting Data Points from graph

    Thank you for your response, i will give it a go tomorrow morning along with
    a strong cup of coffee

    regards

    Keith

    news:#[email protected]...