Creating names

  1. #1
    Ann Shaw
    Guest

    Creating names

    Hi

    I was recently asked in a training class why a person
    would use Insert Name Create and I did not know about
    this. I usually show my students how to define names from
    selected cells. Could you please give me an example of
    when I might use Create and what does the dialog box mean
    that pops up Top Row, Left Column etc..

    Many thanks

    Ann

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Creating names

    Ann,

    Many reasons

    - maintainability - define a name of VAT with a refersto value of 17.5% and
    a formula of =A1*VAT is self-explanatory
    - reduce complexity of formulas that have repeating functions - create a
    name a make it more obvious and also shorter (e.g.
    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,$H$1:$J$10,2,False)), "",VLOOKUP(A1,$H$1:$J$10,2,False))
    can be shortened to =IF(ISNA(the_rate),"",the_rate) where the_rate is a name
    with a Refersto value of =VLOOKUP(A1,$H$1:$J$10,2,False)
    - in some circumstances, such as conditional formatting or data validation
    where you want to refer to data on an other worksheet, you can only do this
    by defining a name.

    They are great, encourage their use.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: Creating names

    See:

    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.Names.html

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  4. #4
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Creating names

    Insert Names is a fast and convenient way to assign defined names to cells
    adjacent to labels, using those labels. An example makes this easier to
    follow:

    -Enter 3 names in cells A1:A3 (say Jones, Brown, Smith).
    -Select the 6 cell range A1:B3.
    -Open the Insert Names dialog (Ctrl-Shift-F3 is a shortcut).
    -Select the Left Column option (it may be selected automatically).
    -Click OK.

    Cells B1:B3 will now have the names Jones, Brown and Smith.

    Has you selected a range with more columns, like A1:D3, then the names would
    have been assigned to the range B1:D1, B2:D2 and B3:D3.

    --
    Jim Rech
    Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Creating names

    Jim,

    That's a great tip, but (and this is not meant as criticism, just extra help
    for Ann) from the tone of the OP I think Ann would benefit from some ideas
    on how to deploy such names. Some occur to me, but as I presume you actually
    use this technique I will leave it to you to

    Regards

    Bob

    news:ewCpSZ%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Creating names

    When I read your response, Bob, I thought 'that's a great tip but not what
    the OP was asking'.<g> So I thought I'd answer her actual question which I
    took to be "how do I use the Create Names dialog?", not "why should I use
    names?".

    If Ann comes back maybe she can tell us who was more perceptive this
    morning...<g>

    --
    Jim Rech
    Excel MVP
    news:%23LhYTh%[email protected]...
    | Jim,
    |
    | That's a great tip, but (and this is not meant as criticism, just extra
    help
    | for Ann) from the tone of the OP I think Ann would benefit from some ideas
    | on how to deploy such names. Some occur to me, but as I presume you
    actually
    | use this technique I will leave it to you to
    |
    | Regards
    |
    | Bob
    |

    | "Jim Rech" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:ewCpSZ%[email protected]...
    | > Insert Names is a fast and convenient way to assign defined names to
    cells
    | > adjacent to labels, using those labels. An example makes this easier to
    | > follow:
    | >
    | > -Enter 3 names in cells A1:A3 (say Jones, Brown, Smith).
    | > -Select the 6 cell range A1:B3.
    | > -Open the Insert Names dialog (Ctrl-Shift-F3 is a shortcut).
    | > -Select the Left Column option (it may be selected automatically).
    | > -Click OK.
    | >
    | > Cells B1:B3 will now have the names Jones, Brown and Smith.
    | >
    | > Has you selected a range with more columns, like A1:D3, then the names
    | would
    | > have been assigned to the range B1:D1, B2:D2 and B3:D3.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Jim Rech
    | > Excel MVP
    | > "Ann Shaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | > | Hi
    | > |
    | > | I was recently asked in a training class why a person
    | > | would use Insert Name Create and I did not know about
    | > | this. I usually show my students how to define names from
    | > | selected cells. Could you please give me an example of
    | > | when I might use Create and what does the dialog box mean
    | > | that pops up Top Row, Left Column etc..
    | > |
    | > | Many thanks
    | > |

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Creating names

    Hi Jim,

    Funny how language is so multi-facetted isn't it :-). Makes being a
    highly-paid lawyer easy :-(

    Ann, we all wait with bated breath <g>

    Bob

    news:%23UgvM$%[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Ann Shaw
    Guest

    Re: Creating names

    Guys Guys Guys please - you both helped me a lot over here
    in little olde Dublin, Ireland.

    Much appreciated. Hope you got my email Bob - any help on
    Macros would be great and thanks a million both Bob and
    Jim!!!!

    Kind regards

    Ann

  9. #9
    Gordon
    Guest

    Re: Creating names

    Bob Phillips wrote:
    || - reduce complexity of formulas that have repeating functions -
    || create a name a make it more obvious and also shorter (e.g.
    || =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,$H$1:$J$10,2,False)),
    || "",VLOOKUP(A1,$H$1:$J$10,2,False)) can be shortened to
    || =IF(ISNA(the_rate),"",the_rate) where the_rate is a name with a
    || Refersto value of =VLOOKUP(A1,$H$1:$J$10,2,False)

    Doesn't that make formula auditing very difficult?

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

  10. #10
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Creating names

    Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  11. #11

    Re: Creating names

    You may want to look at Debra Dalgleish's technique for defining a name that can
    grow/shrink when entries get added/removed.

    http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic

    And if you're working with names, do yourself a giant favor and get Jan Karel
    Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew Henson) Name Manager

    You can find it at:
    NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

    You may want to suggest it to users who think that they'll use names a lot (or
    at all!).

  12. #12
    Gordon
    Guest

    Re: Creating names

    Bob Phillips wrote:
    || Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.
    || --
    || HTH
    || RP
    || (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
    || "Gordon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    || news:[email protected]...
    ||| Doesn't that make formula auditing very difficult?

    If you specify a NAME instead of "VLOOKUP(A1,$H$1:$J$10,2,False)" and you
    need to find out why the formula (possibly) returns a wrong value, doesn't
    it make that process more difficult?

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

  13. #13
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Creating names

    No, IMO it makes it easier as you already have the formula broken down into
    components, and thus you can test those components separately, e.g.
    =the_rate can be tested to see if that is where the problem lies. Component
    development is a lot easier IMO and more productive, and although this is a
    small example of such, I think it follows those principles.

  14. #14
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Creating names

    Ann

    Insert>Name>Create>Top row/Left Column is a whole 'nother ball of wax than
    Insert>Name>Define.

    Jim is on the right track as far as I'm concerned.

    Then you can use intersect operations to return values from a grid.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  15. #15
    Ann Shaw
    Guest

    Re: Creating names

    As usual - you guys never let me down - I now fully
    understand the use of Creating Names and it saves heaps
    of time. Thanks for all your tips, websites and examples.

    Indebted

    Ann

    wrote