summing cells with variables

  1. #1
    jeff
    Guest

    summing cells with variables

    I need to sum a group of cells, but the column is
    dependent on another equation. Therefore I know that I
    want to sum from G1 and I know that I want to sum to the
    13th row and kth column where k is a number that has been
    calculated using the MATCH function.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Jeff

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: summing cells with variables

    Something like

    =SUM(OFFSET(A13,,,MATCH("t",H1:H25,0)))

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    jeff
    Guest

    Re: summing cells with variables

    Bob,

    thank you for the quick reply. This is almost exactly
    it. The one difference is that this sums one row only, I
    would like to sum across several ros (e.g. a-f). Any
    ideas?

    Jeff

  4. #4
    Jeff
    Guest

    Re: summing cells with variables

    Here is my attempt at this

    =SUM('Resource Plan'!G4:OFFSET('Resource Plan'!G13,,,MATCH
    (RatePeriod_1,ProjectTimeLine,1)))

    where MATCH(RatePeriod_1,ProjectTimeLine,1)=17

    but I end up with a value of 0. It should be 30.

    Jeff

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: summing cells with variables

    Jeff,

    I assume you mean columns, not rows? Try this then

    =SUM(OFFSET(A13,,,MATCH("t",H1:H25,0),6))

  6. #6
    Guest

    Re: summing cells with variables

    Just needed to swap the match function and the the 6 to
    do what I needed.

    thank you!
    Jeff